Facebook's suicide prevention tools now offered globally

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Facebook last year rolled out a set of suicide prevention tools developed in partnership with Lifeline, Forefront and Save.org that were designed to help those that may be at risk of self-harm or suicide. The tools initially launched in the US but now, the world’s largest social network is expanding the resources globally.

In a recent post on the matter, Facebook Global Head of Safety, Antigone Davis, and researcher Jennifer Guadagno, said the tools are being rolled out globally in collaboration with local partners in all languages Facebook currently supports.

If someone posts something on Facebook that makes you feel concerned about their well-being, you’ll soon be able to flag the post from a drop-down menu. Facebook has teams working around the world, 24/7 who review reports that come in and prioritize them accordingly.

According to the National Center for Health Statistics, suicide rates in the US are at their highest levels in nearly 30 years.

As of today, Facebook said the resources it will send a person will include an expanded set of options such as information to contact a helpline and tips on how to deal with certain situations. In the event that you feel someone is in immediate danger, Facebook recommends dialing 911 or otherwise getting in touch with local law enforcement for help.

Facebook also encourages visiting its Help Center for information on how to support yourself or a friend.

Image courtesy USO

Permalink to story.

Is life too hard? Ahhh, poor baby.
Sorry modern day silver spooner, but your going to have to grow a backbone, tough out some crappy jobs and learn to appreciate the dollar bill. Time to grow up.

Sorry modern day silver spooner, but your going to have to grow a backbone, tough out some crappy jobs and learn to appreciate the dollar bill. Time to grow up.

I'm not sure about things in the US, but literally everything in the UK is much more ****ed up because of the previous generations, we work more hours for less pay, have to pay more for housing and university and we're constantly trodden on and walked over by the older generations thinking we have it easy. I do the same job as some 40 year olds in my office and they get paid £40K + a year on 36 hour weeks, and I get £20.5K on 37.5 hours. They all own houses and are well in their way to retiring young because they got decent mortgages and paid jobs where I wont be able to retire until I'm 75 at this rate, wont be able to move out until I'm 25 and my mortgage will be over £450K on my meagre salary.

I'm sorry for ranting but this is an opinion held by many and it's simply wrong.

Damn straight !

I'm not sure about things in the US, but literally everything in the UK is much more ****ed up because of the previous generations, we work more hours for less pay, have to pay more for housing and university and we're constantly trodden on and walked over by the older generations thinking we have it easy. I do the same job as some 40 year olds in my office and they get paid £40K + a year on 36 hour weeks, and I get £20.5K on 37.5 hours. They all own houses and are well in their way to retiring young because they got decent mortgages and paid jobs where I wont be able to retire until I'm 75 at this rate, wont be able to move out until I'm 25 and my mortgage will be over £450K on my meagre salary.

I'm sorry for ranting but this is an opinion held by many and it's simply wrong.

Vote Brexit.

They should offer an insurance option upon sign-up:

Would you like to take insurance in case of a successful suicide after using Facebook?

with a sub-option -

Insure against an unsuccessful suicide attempt with us today!

preacher-arseface-ian-colletti-slice-600x200.png

Mr. Arseface didn't take the insurance option, now seeping through the bitter life.

Last edited:
Personally I find it very sad when a husband has to bury his wife, a wife her husband, parents one of their kids, this is happening to veterans. I don't think this is a topic that deserves a HTFU to someone who is in difficulty.

Not being happy with your life is not the same as depression or suicide. Some of the happiest people I've ever met worked bad jobs for worse pay - and I lost a friend who had one of the most loving and supportive families, and had every reason to live. And it came out of the blue. Everyone thought he was so happy. Always laughing, smiling, and everyone liked him. After he was gone, we found a couple of his journals and found out just how miserable he felt. That hurt almost as bad as finding out he was gone. It was like losing him all over again.

I'm not sure how much good this feature will do, but it is still better than nothing.

Hmm I didn't notice it was on my Android device as stock, I think I had to install Messenger by default. It's ridiculous if these apps are installed by stock however...
I think that depends on what device you buy. It's on both my Samsung & HTC but it wasn't on any of my older devices.

Back