"Failed to create socket"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maurice

I now get this on boot-up, I click OK, & it then proceeds normally, as far as I can tell,..........what the?

Maurice.

Run Adaware and Spybot S&D.
Run their web-update first before you do the scan in each program.
Let them fix what they can.

Then go here and download 'HijackThis!'.
http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/

Unzip it, launch Hijack This, then press Scan, and press Save Log

This will generate a text file that will list all running processes, all applications that are loaded automatically when you start Windows, and more.

open that file
Go to Edit | Select all
Now click Edit | copy to copy it

Do not change anything just yet
Come back to the forum, Right Click and paste its contents here

We'll have a look at it.

Cheers, RBS, 'preciate that.
Don't wan't to seem pedantic, but what does "Failed to create socket" mean, & what does this affect?, just that, then I'll not ask for more advice for at least............................ twelve hours, I hope!

Maurice.

The message means that some program wanted to start listening on some port but it didn't succeed. Perhaps the port was already in use.

You shouldn't have any server type programs on your computer without your knowledge. A complete spyware/virus scan is in order.

Thanks, Nodsu, but what port?, I think I only have one, please define "port", [still learning]. As to server programmes, are you saying that my ISP is running some on my PC without my knowledge? if so, why does it DO that?

I run Ad Aware on a daily basis, I get a LOT of trackers, & also run AVG once or twice a week. [deep scan]

Maurice

Nodsu is talking about server programs like KaZaa, Bearshare, Limewire, stuff like that. Most of these programs will try to run on startup by default (there is a checkbox that you can uncheck when you are installing). The error could mean that some program is trying to use a port that is allready being used. Most of the time ports 25, and 110 are the issue, The are used by email programs and your AntiVirus monitors them aswell. Some spywear and viruses try to use these ports because they see alot of trafic and most email programs don't run at startup so they can get them first. Good Luck.

Thanks, RBS,had a look at that site, I'm sure it makes a lot of sense to you, thanks for making it clear, [or clearer] to me, especially as I thought it was a physical thing, not a term!. see, you're still assuming that I am getting used to IT technology, I am, but slowly, wait 'til you get old!!

Seriously though, I'm sorry if I irritate you, I assure you it's not intentional., there are so many things to learn.

Thanks Page2564 as well, some more gobble-de-gook explained!

Maurice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back