TechSpot

Fairphone hits pre-order goal, moves forward with ethical smartphone

By Shawn Knight
Jun 6, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Let’s be honest: most of us never consider what sort of materials go into the electronics we use on a daily basis or how they are made. That’s not the case with Fairphone, a Dutch company that set out a...

Read more

2. highlander84

highlander84 TS Booster Posts: 103   +24

A charger is not good for the environment? I fail to understand this. The components inside a charger are plastic and copper wire mostly... Also about the same for the headphones. there is nothing in either that is not in the phone its self. did they include a speaker on the phone? At least 2 I'm sure... So the no headphones does not make sense either. Just because you make a phone that is ethical but then require a charger and headphones that are possibly not ethical how does it really change anything...

I also just thought, people who need to buy a charger for this phone are not going to go spend a lot of money on a great charger. They will buy a cheap one. Most likely made somewhere where that labor standards are crap...

3. OneSpeed

OneSpeed TS Addict Posts: 251   +73

Wouldn't it be ironic if the phone was slapped with a patent lawsuit?

4. silence911

silence911 TS Rookie

They are not including a headphone and a charger because they are assuming everyone has these already from their old phones (Android chargers are all the same, and most headphones nowadays use a 3.5mm jack anyway). They don't want to contribute to more e-waste. Remember the 3 R's of environmentalism: REDUCE, Reuse, recycling (all in order of effectiveness).

5. ReederOnTheRun

ReederOnTheRun TS Booster Posts: 304   +62

Too ironic. I don't think any company would dare becoming known as the greedy tech company that sued "the ethical phone" for patent infringement.

6. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I really like this phone.

7. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,509   +2,056

If it's micro USB it shouldn't be a problem for most.