Fake MSN popup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing a wesbite earlier today, whilst i was on there i had a fake msn popup appear in the bottom right hand corner of the screen. It was the normal Hi i would like to party, lets meet up im in "suburb". Now the interesting thing about it for me was that it listed the exact same suburb i live in. I know that there is probably a simple explaination for this but would somebody please be able to let me know how this is performed? My computer is clean without viruses and the ad was isolated to that particular website, but is just something that is going to bug me.

Regards,
theazza

If it just "bugs you", then you don't need help with malware- is that correct?

Sorry may not have been worded correclty, what is bugging me is i would like to know how this is possible, and/or whether the most likely scenario is that i have malware or if there is a simple way for them to tell that my internet originated in my suburb and that is what the popup was going off?

how this is possible, and/or whether the most likely scenario is that i have malware or if there is a simple way for them to tell that my internet originated in my suburb and that is what the popup was going off?

Simple way? No. It is possible that you have adware that is particular for your location.If you suspect malware on the system, you can follow the steps HERE. Then leave the three logs for review.

im going to take a guess here...but can't they use your ip address to see where you are logged on?? I get these too on certian sites...and they are for wherever i happen to be logged on, not necissarly where I live.

edit: in any case, it's nothing to worry about unless you actually click on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back