Fallout 4 locked at 30fps, 1080p on consoles only; no limitations on PC version

midian182

Staff member

fallout

Digital Spy recently published an article claiming Fallout 4 will run at 1080p and 30 frames-per-second on "everything". Needless to say, some PC fans of the series were concerned that 'everything' may have included their platfrom. In order to clear up any confusion, Bethesda Softworks confirmed that the PC version would have no limitations with this earlier tweet:

It was Fallout 4 director Todd Howard who initially stated that both the Xbox One and PS4 will run the game at a native resolution of 1080p -- a parity that not all console titles can claim -- and that they'd be locked at 30 frames-per-second. This came as a surprise to many gamers, who assumed that Fallout 4 would follow the trend of most modern titles and run at a smoother 60fps.

Fallout 4 looks set to become one the biggest games of the year when it is released on November 10th. Bethesda's E3 showing of the game was met with almost universal acclaim, with pre-orders making it one of the top sellers on Steam within hours.

The PC is known for its versatility when it comes to resolutions and frame rates, and attempt to lock-in settings would risk alienating a large section of gamers. Those concerns have now been laid to rest, and thanks to a multitude of new features being introduced to the series, and a gameplay length of over 400 hours, it's unlikely that this will adversely affect Fallout 4's sales either.

Permalink to story.

Everyone loves to throw insults at me for this but I tend to prefer 30 FPS in non-multiplayer games.

Regardless, if 30 fps instead of 60 is that big a deal to you, you probably shouldnt be on consoles to begin with.

Everyone loves to throw insults at me for this but I tend to prefer 30 FPS in non-multiplayer games.

Regardless, if 30 fps instead of 60 is that big a deal to you, you probably shouldnt be on consoles to begin with.

They people complaining aren't on console...

What would be the reason for 30 fps being your preference? Motion sickness?

Console owners really shouldn't be complaining though. They all knew when buying that you rarely are going to get 60 fps for the most part and that the next gen consoles are not as powerful as past generations.

The only thing I'm wondering is how Bethesda figures mods are going to work on consoles with mods. They must tone down the graphics when mods are on because there's not much you can drop below 30 fps until the game becomes a slideshow.

Console owners really shouldn't be complaining though. They all knew when buying that you rarely are going to get 60 fps for the most part and that the next gen consoles are not as powerful as past generations.

The only thing I'm wondering is how Bethesda figures mods are going to work on consoles with mods. They must tone down the graphics when mods are on because there's not much you can drop below 30 fps until the game becomes a slideshow.

Console owners can complain all they want. And they have reason to. 1080p/30FPS is PS3/360 level paper performance. Many of them upgraded expressly for a next gen experience nobody seems to be delivering. For the $400 or so dollars console gamers spent to "upgrade," all they've received from most devs is better textures and effects, usually at a cost (the Playstation 4 has terrible pop-in issues in my experience, probably related to the HDD). The exception to this seems to be exclusives, which begs the question about what's actually going on behind the scenes.

As for 30FPS itself... it depends on the game. Most of the time it is a very noticeable handicap. Though, admittedly, I can't say I've found it to be a noticeable issue while playing Gwent.

It's sad that this is news. It doesn't make any sense for games to be limited on PC.

Console owners can complain all they want. And they have reason to. 1080p/30FPS is PS3/360 level paper performance.
You are being very generous with the Xbox 360 and PS3 performance, considering the standard throught that entire generation was 720p and 30 FPS. There were almost no games higher than 720p on them, and the only significant example was Gran Turismo 4 (1280x1080 scaled horizontally, still short of full 1920x1080).
With the new generation, they did get higher resolutions (many titles are 900p or 1080p now), more visual effects and access to newer standards like shader model 5.0 and hardware tesselation, even if framerate hasn't increased. There's only so much $400 worth of hardware will provide you, you won't get a high-end PC experience for that money. A Core i5 and a R9 380 or GTX 960 alone are $400, and that's a mid range PC. What did you expect?

why would you prefer 30fps? are a masochist? or is it because of the "cinematic feel" it gives? :p

You are being very generous with the Xbox 360 and PS3 performance, considering the standard throught that entire generation was 720p and 30 FPS. There were almost no games higher than 720p on them, and the only significant example was Gran Turismo 4 (1280x1080 scaled horizontally, still short of full 1920x1080).
With the new generation, they did get higher resolutions (many titles are 900p or 1080p now), more visual effects and access to newer standards like shader model 5.0 and hardware tesselation, even if framerate hasn't increased. There's only so much $400 worth of hardware will provide you, you won't get a high-end PC experience for that money. A Core i5 and a R9 380 or GTX 960 alone are $400, and that's a mid range PC. What did you expect?

I can't speak for the 360, but the PS3 had a significant number of 1080p/30fps titles on the back end of its initial lifecycle.

I personally expected this gen to be exactly as lackluster as it has been thus far. The hardware simply isn't there. That said, high-end PC performance is always out of the question with consoles, FPS above 30 is not. Sony and MS promised next gen gaming with their respective machines and developers have delivered only half of the equation. I anticipate this will change in three years (as it did with the previous generation), but the current state of consoles is a bit disappointing.

Console owners can complain all they want. And they have reason to. 1080p/30FPS is PS3/360 level paper performance. Many of them upgraded expressly for a next gen experience nobody seems to be delivering. For the $400 or so dollars console gamers spent to "upgrade," all they've received from most devs is better textures and effects, usually at a cost (the Playstation 4 has terrible pop-in issues in my experience, probably related to the HDD). The exception to this seems to be exclusives, which begs the question about what's actually going on behind the scenes.

As for 30FPS itself... it depends on the game. Most of the time it is a very noticeable handicap. Though, admittedly, I can't say I've found it to be a noticeable issue while playing Gwent.
No, console owners have no reason to complain. Buyers know full well they're overpaying to buy into weak kneed archaic tech and that it has absolutely no way of keeping up with progress. The choice of hardware for consoles is decided long before they see the light of day. That said, consoles usually make decent HTPC's for a while to come so they have their uses but sadly cutting edge gaming isn't one of them.

No, console owners have no reason to complain. Buyers know full well they're overpaying to buy into weak kneed archaic tech and that it has absolutely no way of keeping up with progress.

Nice rhetoric, but if console gamers are promised X and receive Y, they have demonstrable reason to complain.

ikesmasher said:

Mate, you can dress up in ladies underwear, smear yourself in peanut butter and play the game backwards for all I care, so long as my pc gameplay isn't gimped.

why would you prefer 30fps? are a masochist? or is it because of the "cinematic feel" it gives? :p
cinematic feel. guilty as charged. Not in the sense where "it makes it feel like an epic movie" but in the sense where "I dont feel like im playing an interactive documentary"

cinematic feel. guilty as charged. Not in the sense where "it makes it feel like an epic movie" but in the sense where "I dont feel like im playing an interactive documentary"
there is no reason to prefer 30 fps over 60 fps in games, absolutely none, cinematic feel or not. not caring if it's 30 or 60 is a much more acceptable reason for me. I also don't care about fps numbers in certain games. but if I had a choice I would always pick 60 fps for smoother movement, less input lag and other benefits.

there is no reason to prefer 30 fps over 60 fps in games, absolutely none, cinematic feel or not. not caring if it's 30 or 60 is a much more acceptable reason for me. I also don't care about fps numbers in certain games. but if I had a choice I would always pick 60 fps for smoother movement, less input lag and other benefits.
Stating an opinion like its fact suggests a superiority complex. I am perfectly fine with people wanting 60 FPS and I can play games in 60 fps. I just like 30 FPS better in single player scenarios. Sorry if that disturbs you for some reason.

Stating an opinion like its fact suggests a superiority complex. I am perfectly fine with people wanting 60 FPS and I can play games in 60 fps. I just like 30 FPS better in single player scenarios. Sorry if that disturbs you for some reason.
it's not an opinion, it's fact.... that's why I wrote it so. there is no logical reason to prefer 30 fps over 60 if you had a choice. like I said, I accept the fact that people don't care, but given the choice you should always go for 60. (it's what ALL people who know what FSP means do)
it's like saying that you don't want your character to move better, you controls to feel tighter and your eyes to not hurt after a long gaming session.
you can consider this as some weird "superiority complex", but it doesn't change the fact that you know that I'm right.

Last edited:
"it's not an opinion, it's fact.... that's why I wrote it so. there is no logical reason to prefer 30 fps over 60 if you had a choice"

Its not a fact. Thats like saying "logical reason states that chocolate is better than cabbage so its a fact that chocolate is better than cabbage." you cannot apply fact to individual tastes because you wind up trying to force your chocolate down someones throat in an attempt to prove its better than cabbage.

Back