'Fallout 4' will be free to play this weekend on Steam and Xbox One

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Fallout 4, arguably one of the best video games released in recent memory, will be free to play this weekend. If for some reason you haven’t gotten around to giving Bethesda’s action role-playing game a try, here’s your opportunity.

The fan-favorite will be available to try for PC users via Steam and on the Xbox One for those with an Xbox Live Gold subscription. The Steam free period will run from May 25 at 10 a.m. PT through May 28 at 1 p.m. PT and on the Xbox One from 12:01 a.m. PT through 11:59 p.m. PT on May 25 and May 28, respectively.

Bethesda says gamers will have access to all of Fallout 4’s base content and mods during the trial period. Oddly enough, the free period isn’t being offered to PlayStation 4 gamers.

In related news, Steam, Xbox Live and the PlayStation Store will be running sales on both the base game and its season pass with discounts of up to 67 percent. According to GameSpot, the sale will bring the price of the game down to $19.97 and the DLC down to $30.

Fallout 4 arrived in November 2015 and went on to win multiple Game of the Year honors. Bethesda has since released three add-ons for the game: Automatron, Wasteland Workshop and Far Harbor.

Permalink to story.

That's a good deal. My problem with Fallout is I can't remember what is going on if I leave the game for a month. I do that with games. So...a weekend with Fallout not for me. Maybe if I was younger

That's a good deal. My problem with Fallout is I can't remember what is going on if I leave the game for a month. I do that with games. So...a weekend with Fallout not for me. Maybe if I was younger

You gotta find your kid. And other people's lost adults.

"Oddly enough, the free period isn’t being offered to PlayStation 4 gamers."

Most likely Microsoft is involved.

Well, all in all I like the game and the various mods, especially the most recent ones. I just hope they keep the series going with another version!

"Fallout 4, arguably one of the best video games released in recent memory"

Like a Goldfish's memory maybe. Fallout 4 was a step back for the series. The voice over'd main character prevented you from role paying, most of the choices didn't matter (literally two different choices would often play the same voice line), they somehow made performance worse, and the story was junk (even more so than other FO games). Allot of the gameplay improvements in FO4 were essentially lifted directly from mods (the same thing they did for Skyrim). This is why Bethesda games don't excite anymore, because you've likely already done it in a mod. The modding community saves their bacon far too much.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Fallout junkie. Hands-down my favorite continuing series. But have to agree with Evernessince (a little). There was too much busy work in the Fallout 4 side quests for my tastes. Helping one settlement after another from continuous attack and helping them rebuild, doing the same over and over again, settlement after settlement. There was plenty to do and explore without that, it was a detractor. Fortunately, the modding community helped with some of that grinding.

Still a terrific game and heads and shoulders above a lot of the crap that's been released in the last 3-4 years.

As far as Bethesda opening up its games to massive modding, I have zero problem with that. People have come up with some really clever stuff and upgrades. I mean, look what's been done to Skyrim. There are instances where groups have created brand new games lasting dozens of hours or more from their modding of Skyrim. Look at the "Enderal" mod as example. That's just like getting a free quality game. Who doesn't want free? :)

Last edited:
I signed up to the free 14 days of Xbox Game Pass and downloaded Mad Max. Need to complete it in 14 days - no time for Fallout 4!! Nice to know it was there though.

Several mention great mods for Fallout 4. Any recommendations?

There are several hundred mods available. I'd for sure recommend the "Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch" mod which has a slew of bug fixes and graphic upgrades.

There are also several nice texture mods and as I mentioned some good settlement mods that help you manage them.

Check out the listings at nexusmods.com

"Fallout 4, arguably one of the best video games released in recent memory"

Like a Goldfish's memory maybe. Fallout 4 was a step back for the series. Snip.

Pretty much how I felt about the game. The only thing Bethesda did for this game was to give it a different setting and story. That's it. The most popular aspect of the game which was city building was a player made mod for their previous game. Interesting enough the official dlc for this game was almost a carbon copy of what the modding community had created and released for this game and they did it sooner than Bethesda released their official dlc . Bethesda is going to have to step up their game for the next installment of the series big time.

Back