Fallout 4's system requirements recommend a GTX 780

Scorpus

Staff member

Bethesda has revealed what sort of system it will take to run Fallout 4, and it's looking good: so long as you have a mid-range graphics card from 2010 or newer paired with 8 GB of RAM, you'll be able to run one of the most hotly anticipated games of 2015.

Recommended Minimum
CPU Intel Core i7 4790 3.6 GHz
AMD FX-9590 4.7 GHz
Intel Core i5-2300 2.8 GHz
AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0 GHz
GPU NVIDIA GTX 780 3GB
AMD Radeon R9 290X 4GB
NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti 2GB
AMD Radeon HD 7870 2GB
RAM 8 GB
OS Windows 7 64-bit or newer
Storage 30 GB

Fallout 4 will be released on November 10th, and it will require a 64-bit version of Windows like many current-generation games. You'll also need to free up 30 GB of space to install the game, though that shouldn't come as a huge surprise considering its open-world nature.

As for recommended requirements, Bethesda suggests either a Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 or AMD Radeon R9 290X to get the best Fallout 4 experience. The game is shaping up to have fairly decent graphics, but it doesn't look like a hugely demanding game to run.

Interestingly, Bethesda lists the GeForce GTX 550 Ti as the minimum Nvidia graphics card that's required, but on the AMD front, the significantly more powerful Radeon HD 7870 is required. Does this mean the game will run significantly better on Nvidia hardware? Probably not, but it's an interesting discrepancy to note.

Permalink to story.

Funny, my GTX 780 just got kicked in the ballz by the latest SC-II Update. It used to be just enough to run SC-II at 2560x1600 at ultra settings, but after the update (Legacy of the Void) it is absolutely not, I have to set it to 1600x1200 to make it playable. UNBELIEVABLE! And all that with a spec not to sneeze at - i7-4770K @ 3.85Ghz, 32GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro.

Now I start thinking that upgrading the monitor to one with 3440x1440 will requite Titan X to run the updated SC-II properly, quite a resource hog this game is.

Well I'm stuck with my 680 until Pascal comes out, guess I'll just have to run 4k at lower settings in the mean time.

550Ti's came out with 2 gigs of RAM? Gee, my old 560Ti had only 1 gig yet it was supposed to be a slightly more powerful card.
I haven't played any of the Fallout series yet but from what I've heard they're quite good and if Bethesda can pull off the miracle that no one else seems capable of and that's being able to release a game on PC that doesn't need a recall after launch day, I might just give it a try, assuming there's a proper single player campaign and it's not all multiplayer nonsense.

550Ti's came out with 2 gigs of RAM? Gee, my old 560Ti had only 1 gig yet it was supposed to be a slightly more powerful card.
I haven't played any of the Fallout series yet but from what I've heard they're quite good and if Bethesda can pull off the miracle that no one else seems capable of and that's being able to release a game on PC that doesn't need a recall after launch day, I might just give it a try, assuming there's a proper single player campaign and it's not all multiplayer nonsense.
Fallout 4 is a single player open world RPG. It will probably be the best game to come out for a few years. Every game Bethesda makes wins game of year, their last 5 games have all won game of the year and I'm sure FO4 will make it 6 in a row

Fallout 4 is a single player open world RPG. It will probably be the best game to come out for a few years. Every game Bethesda makes wins game of year, their last 5 games have all won game of the year and I'm sure FO4 will make it 6 in a row
Thanks man, it sounds like my kind of game. I've been stuck on old games like Batman, Assassins Creed, Hitman, GTA etc for a long time now because of the lack of proper single player games.

The problem here is that they are still running the Gambryo engine. I can't even get over 50% CPU usage on a totally modded out skyrim. I can imagine they have beefy requirements because of the game engine's shortcomings.

The CPU requirement is surprising too, but in the opposite direction. Guess it really is time to replace those Sandy Bridges.

FO4 is going to have to be spectacular to beat Witcher 3.

"...one of the most hotly anticipated games of 2015."

I really hope so! But we'll see. I'm not doing any of that pre-order nonsense.

The CPU requirement is surprising too, but in the opposite direction. Guess it really is time to replace those Sandy Bridges.

Yeah. I used the 560Ti years ago though, it was alright at the time but now it's in storage.

Have you ever played a Bethesda game?

Fallout 4 has no chance with Witcher 3 that launched this year.

the whitcher 3 hype died down about a month after it came out, fallout is a cultural icon. While this is a pointless thing to talk about until the game is out, I doubt Bethesda's flawless game of year record will be broken with fallout 4.

the whitcher 3 hype died down about a month after it came out, fallout is a cultural icon. While this is a pointless thing to talk about until the game is out, I doubt Bethesda's flawless game of year record will be broken with fallout 4.

I...Must..Resist...the urge to pre-order!!! Grrrrr :p

The problem here is that they are still running the Gambryo engine. I can't even get over 50% CPU usage on a totally modded out skyrim. I can imagine they have beefy requirements because of the game engine's shortcomings.
If they are indeed still using that crap, then I'm betting it's starting to look like the modified idTech3 engine Activision has used for the past 10 or so years with Call of Duty. Lines of worthless code ahoy and bottlenecking--at least that's what the modified idTech3 engine became.

I called it that Fallout 4 will probably run pretty poorly from a performance prospective as usual.

If they are indeed still using that crap, then I'm betting it's starting to look like the modified idTech3 engine Activision has used for the past 10 or so years with Call of Duty. Lines of worthless code ahoy and bottlenecking--at least that's what the modified idTech3 engine became.

I called it that Fallout 4 will probably run pretty poorly from a performance prospective as usual.

Yep, same engine for awhile now. Unless they somehow worked a way to multi-thread the engine, it will still be heavily dependent on individual CPU core power. They can get away with this on the PC but I don't see how they are going to do on the weak ***, high core count console processors. I guess they have had to spend the most time optimizing for them, seeing as they don't really have to do anything to get their engine to work on the PC.

It's really tiring when PC modders have to do bethesda's job.

Funny, my GTX 780 just got kicked in the ballz by the latest SC-II Update. It used to be just enough to run SC-II at 2560x1600 at ultra settings, but after the update (Legacy of the Void) it is absolutely not, I have to set it to 1600x1200 to make it playable. UNBELIEVABLE! And all that with a spec not to sneeze at - i7-4770K @ 3.85Ghz, 32GB RAM, Samsung 840 Pro.

Now I start thinking that upgrading the monitor to one with 3440x1440 will requite Titan X to run the updated SC-II properly, quite a resource hog this game is.

I think there might be a performance issue with that latest SC2 patch, my system which features a Core i7-5960X and GTX 980 Ti runs like utter crap as well. 4v4 is unplayable at the moment.

I'll pass this games, zero interested on it, I have tried with all Bethesda games to get bored in the first hours.

What the F is even this "game of the year" you talk about? There's no one entity giving it out but like every single game review site it making their own GotY awards. So nowadays GotY means almost nothing ... award wise... it's more like marketing term for : game + "season pass" + all other DLC-s => GotY edition and nothing to do with how good the game actually is.

Last edited:
Fallout 3 won GoTY in 2008 and depending on the site giving the award 2009 but not for more than a couple game review type sites, Spike VGA awards game it RPG of the year in 2008 but their GoTY award more often goes to GTA and not Fallout. What Deemon said is more accurate, GoTY is a bundle that generally includes the base game with all of the first years DLC for the price of the base game at launch, this is how I buy most of my games now, not to mention when they also go on sale for 50-75% off on steam. Currently I can't bring myself to pay $110 for Fallout 4 with the season pass, that's an absurd amount of money for a video game that will eventually go on sale for less than half that. I do want to play the game, just I might resort to a more nefarious method of acquiring it.

On the unrelated SC2 front, how does nobody know how poorly optimized the game is for multi core CPUs, this was news when the game launched, I doubt it has changed since then. Now with new content the engine is struggling to get everything done with a single core/thread, really sad for a game that was developed for PC exclusively.

Back