False free space shown on hardrive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys !
Could sombody help me with strange behavior of my hardrive?
I got new 160 GB hardrive which I split to two partition (F: -50GB) and G: - 100GB)
I dowload a lot of files and I use this new hardrive as a storage. Till yesterday I downloaded approx. 30GB to the F: drive which left me with 20GB free. Suddenly I got a message that I am low on disk space. When I checke it, my F: drive showed only 190MB of free space???.
I moved some files (15GB) to the G:drive but this way I freed only 8GB on F:
It look like the files expands in some way. Right now if I like to move my files back where they just been, there is not enough space.
Could sombody tell me what's going on. I checked my whole computer with Norton for viruses, and defragmented all the drives but it did not help.

I am runing Windows XP Home edition.

Thanks for Help :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

How are you downloading? Many downloading programs preallocate the space for the files being downloaded so even if you have only 100KB of a 700MB file it will still use the whole 700MB of disk.

SequoiaView is a pretty program that will tell you in what files your disk space hides in.

Turn off Norton protection for your recycle bin...
Also check how much space is being allocated to each drive/partition for System Restore.

patio. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back