Fan holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy! I just recieved the case for my new PC which turned out to be a little bad. It's the Thermaltake XaserV WinGo V7000D, and it covers two of its intake fans so they can't take in any air. One of them is fine, because it's covered by a door which I'll just have to keep open, but the other one is covered by a plastic wall. I started drilling holes in the wall, but I stopped when it occurred to me that maybe the fan was meant to be that way. I mean, if there are three unblocked intake fans and two exhaust fans, won't that increase the pressure inside the case, putting strain on the fans? Or it might not, since the case is equipped with additional holes that open up near, but not quite at, the intake fan. So, should I drill the holes, or leave it as is?

Fan configuration:
Top: 80x80x25 mm fan, 2050rpm, 21dBA (exhaust)
Front: 80x80x25 mm fan, 2050rpm, 21dBA (intake--blocked by door)
Side Up: 90x90x25mm, speed adjustable fan, 1300rpm~3000rpm (intake)
Side Down: 90x90x25 mm fan,1800rpm, 21dBA. (intake--blocked by wall)
Rear: 90x90x25 mm, speed adjustable fan, 1300rpm~3000rpm (exhaust)

Thanks,
Alex

what do you mean, the fans are blocked? if there isn't any solid surface flush against the front of the fan (touching the square plastic frame of said fan), then you need not worry. often case manufacturers design cases in which the front fans draw air from other places, not the area directly infront of the fan. it is possible tha you are looking at plastic placeholders that are meant to be removed when a fan is installed. it is very unlikely that thermaltake sent you a defective case or one that has the design flaw you're describing. refer to the case's manual, perhaps it mentions your plastic walls there.

Thanks, zephead.

The plastic wall I mentioned is the outside of the case. There is about one quarter of a centimeter between the wall and the fan. Is that part of the design, or a bad thing?

I take it you`re talking about the front intake fan?

If you look at the bottom edge of the front facia you will notice a gap, big enough for you to get your fingers in. This is where the front intake fan gets it`s air from. So, don`t worry about it, and deffinitely don`t go drilling anymore holes in it lol.

Take a look at this review of your case. By clicking on the pictures you can see exactly what I mean. The pics are on page 2 of the review.

http://www.thetechlounge.com/review.php?directory=thermaltake_xaser_v_wingo&page=1

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back