Fan monitoring with liquid cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I attempted to post this thread already but I think the site automatically logged me out while I was writing it then I lost the thread when I clicked post. If there is a thread nearly exactly the same as this I apologise.

I have just built a PC and I have incorporated into it the Tt BigWater Liquid cooling system. The motherboard is an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe which has 5 fan connections on it; CPU_FAN, CHIP_FAN (Chipset), POWER, CHA1_FAN (chassis fan 1) and CHA2_FAN (chassis fan 2.) These fan connections seemed perfectly accomodating at first however the pump for the liquid cooling system required a fan connection, so I used the connection CHA1_FAN, the connection I had originally used for the front 120mm fan. The radiator also required a fan connection, it does have a fan however. I used the connection CHA2_FAN which originally housed the rear 120mm fan, since this fan was removed to make room for the radiator there was no contest for this connection. Since the liquid cooling system uses a waterblock instead of a heatsink and fan there was no CPU fan connector, however there was a blue LED in the waterblock that required the same 3-pin fan connection so I put that into CPU_FAN. When I first turned on the system I got a warning about CPU FAN FAIL. Since there was no CPU fan I expected this. The LED in the waterblock was lit.

My first question is how to disable the CPU fan check, I have been to the hardware monitor section of my bios and I can't find anything to turn it off. Is there any way to disable this besides the BIOS.

My main question though is about fan control. The BIOS is equipped with something called Q_FAN technology which smartly adjusts fan speed in reaction to system load. Howver the technology works only with CPU_FAN, CHIP_FAN and CHA1_FAN since I don't have a CPU fan and a pump is connected to the CHA1_FAN connection I don't think I can use this feature. Now there is a user control knob that speeds up or slows down the radiator fan, in the form of an expansion slot but I really wouldn't know when to turn this up. I have in my possesion a Lian Li Temperature Monitor and Fan control device that fits into a 3.5 inch bay and is capable of monitoring three temperatures and controling three fans however there is no documentation included with it and I have yet to find anything on the internet. The fan control leads end in the same female 3-pin connectors as the fans so where am I suppose to stick them. The sysyem seems to be cool at the moment but I am worried when I start installing an operating system the fans will not react to the increased activity, remember the front 120mm is not connected to anything now, it is only powered, it is spinning however. Any advise of anything in this post would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

I'm an *****

On closer inspection of the Lian device, it seems as the fan control connectors had little male female adapter caps on them. Okay I could probably get that set up now but I'd apreciate any comments. Is this a good way to setup, where should I place the temperature monitors etc (anything really.)

Regards

Radiator fan always at full speed

For some reason everytime I turn on the computer my rear fan is at full speed and it remains that way until I turn off the PC. The PC is only idling, I don't even have an OS installed yet so it just stands by after the POST or I enter the BIOS. Any Ideas why this is happening, I have turned the VR control down to min but it doesn't effect the fan anymore. The VR control is the expansion slot based knob that allows you to speed up or slow down the Radiator fan. is it possible that the vr control is broken and the fan is stuck on full speed. I did not have the VR control set to max when the FAN started behaving this way however.

Regards

I have the same thermaltake cooling system and my motherboard was giving me the same alert. Then i plugged the brown connector from the radiator to the one where the cpu fan used to be and just left the blue LED light from the waterblock unplugged. So far so good :)

Lobster,

I'm running a Swiftech h120b and to eliminate the issues with the cpu fan warning, the manual (however horrible) instructed you to plug the pump 3 pin into the cpu fan. If the pump stops working you can have some serious issues so if its plugged into the cpu fan you will be notified about it.

I hope this helps a bit.

Great idea

Thanks whitesealstudio, thats good advice, never thought of monitoring my pump that way, sort of kill two birds with one stone.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back