fan on video card

By xtrmn8r
Apr 30, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ok, the fan on my video card is dying. I have a gf4 ti4600, made by a company called leadtek. i have tried contacting them, but they did not respond.

the fan ticks and rattles, and it irritates the hell out of me, so is there a replacement i could buy or do i have to put up with this noise until i get a new video card? or is there a way i could take it apart and make it a non-noisy fan again.

cheers :)
  2. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

There are a large selection of replacement VGA heatsink replacement products.

Vantec make some good ones

You can buy them from Overclockers.co.uk

Infact quite a few UK online retailers sell VGA heatsinks. You can even buy a heatpipe solution for some cards which would eliminate the need for a fan on your card altogether....
  3. xtrmn8r

xtrmn8r Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 62

ok well quick update- just took the card out and dismantled heatsink, had a play with the fan.

result- fan has 2 less blades and rattles more than it did to start with :mad:

i think ill probably go for another fan, one of the vantec ones.

good call arris....cheers for the quick reply too! this noise is really going to get to me......:eek:
  4. xtrmn8r

update: well i got so annoyed with it i just went out and bought one. Its a thermaltake one, almost exactly the same style that was there before except the heatsink is copper. it also came with some heatsinks for the memory, and cost £12.99. Installation was fine, unclipping the old heatsink from the board was a little difficult but everything went ok.

still.....happy now everything is quiet again :D
  5. Didou

Didou Bowtie extraordinair! Posts: 5,899

A passive cooling solution from Zalman would've been even better.;)

[​IMG]
  6. xtrmn8r

yeh ok ok......i might actually look into something like that because im fed up of fans dying on me....id probably be better off spending a little more on something like that and not having to replace it!! also the less fans in there the less it would sound like its running off a jet turbine........:p
  7. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

I recommend passive cooling too, I've had that Zalman heatpipe setup for some months now without any problems (my card is Radeon 9800SE), and I don't see why it wouldn't work with GF4 too.
  8. Raiders

Raiders Newcomer, in training Posts: 118

In my opinoin your rite on the money with the "Passive" cooling as long as air-flow is'nt an issue. otherwise go "active" with the cooler i run,,the Tt Giant II running almost two years now without a single problem.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.