Fan placement question

Status
Not open for further replies.

czplayer

I'm going to buy 120mm case fan would it be ok to tape it out on there? My case doesn't have any pins do put a fan into.
I'm also wondering i could maybe place it on bottom panel below my gfx card.

czplayer said:
I'm going to buy 120mm case fan would it be ok to tape it out on there? My case doesn't have any slots to put a fan into.
I'm also wondering i could maybe place it on bottom panel below my graphics card.

I don't quite get the double post with a quote of the edited first post, but ok ;)

Putting a fan on the PCI slot covers is too low really, as heat rises so you want the fan above your graphics card, underneath your PSU.

Are there no holes in the back of the case for a fan to let heat out of? If not, then the case is relying on the PSU to let all the heat out.

There are small vents on the bottom of my side panel all the way across it
and there is air vents on my psu and below on the back panel as well as an opening in the front where my dvd drive used to be.

czplayer said:
There are small vents on the bottom of my side panel all the way across it
This is normal and not what I meant. On the back of the case (the side that the mobo sockets etc come out of), is there anywhere for you to put a fan, like the one in the middle of this picture http://msu.edu/~huntharo/bio/comp_back.JPG

What exactly do you mean by an "onboard avc fan"? I'm not sure what one of those is.

If there's something that looks like the picture with four holes in the corners (in each corner) then that's where you'd put a fan.

To find out what size fan you need to get (either 80, 92 or 120mm) you need to measure the distance between two of the screw holes. It would be easiest to measure between the top or bottom two, not diagonally as this isn't how case fans are measured.

The distance between the holes will be a bit less than one of the three sizes I mentioned earlier, as the fan casing goes out a bit further than the holes, so if it's 70-75mm, you'll want an 80mm fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back