Fan Replace - No Video

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought and replaced the CPU fan on one of our office computers because the old fan would occassionally get very noisy. I took of the old fan (for a 370 socket) latched on the new fan and plugged it in. When I powered up the computer the fan worked and the HD light came on temporarily but that was it no video! I connected another monitor that I know works and still the same thing. In an attempt to test the video I plugged in a keyboard and started up the computer. The lights on the keyboard blinked twice as usual but the number lock light never came on even though I left it on for a couple of minutes and the monitor was still blank. Could it be that something happened to the CPU in the fan replacement process? I was careful doing the replacement although I did have to push down a bit hard on the bar that comes through the fan to get it down far enough to latch.

What can I do to find out the problem short of buying another computer?

Just a quick question for confirmation....

you put some thermal paste on the CPU before re-applying the heatsink with new fan right?

The new fan came with thermal paste already on it although I'm not sure if it's making contact with the CPU. There were no signs of that when I took it off again. However, thermal paste or not the CPU hasn't been on long enough for it to overheat since it won't even boot up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back