TechSpot

Fan shuts off, will not boot

By brianf715
Sep 2, 2008
  1. I have removed all cards and drives. I have disconnected the side case fan. The only things connected are the power cable to the power supply, two connections from power supply to motherboard. Without memory, nothing happens at all. With PC2100 memory the fan starts up and abruptly shuts down in a matter of seconds. (2 or 3 tops) With PC2700 memory the fan stays running and the system just beeps like 5 times. This leads me be believe that the 2100 memory (which was what was in the system is the correct memory, but that there is something wrong with it. Am I on the right track?

2. Whiffen

Whiffen TS Rookie Posts: 235

Look for your motherboards BIOS, Award, Phoenix, etc. Click the "Beepcodes" link in my sig, find the same BIOS make in the list and look for the beep code most similar to what you are hearing.

3. brianf715

brianf715 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Beep Codes

The beeps I'm getting is when I use the 2700 memory. It can't read the memory. The motherboard only supports 2100/1600 memory and when I use the 2100, I get no beeps, but everything except the power supply shuts down. Occasionally, if I have the memory only in the second DDR slot, the CPU fan stays running, but I still have no video.

4. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

I am just making a guess, is there a place to change it in the BIOS? if not u will need to get the right mem.

5. brianf715

brianf715 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Memory is Correct

The 2100 memory is the correct memory. I'm wondering if there might be something bad with it. If the PC only runs for a couple seconds, that means that I obviously cannot get into the Bios.

6. nickc

nickc TechSpot Paladin Posts: 923   +11

mem. is a distinct possibility here and what I would change first. make sure u get the correct mem. for the MOBO.

7. CCT

CCT TS Evangelist Posts: 2,653   +6

The thing to tell us is if you actually tried the 2700 before you removed all the cards and if so in what configuration?

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.