TechSpot

fan speed increase wont make cooler

By stockyhome
Jul 9, 2004
  1. specs:
    amd 2500+ OC to 3200+
    mobo gigabyte 7s748
    cheap 450w power supply
    coolmaster fan (looks like a jet engine)
    200/400
    cpu +5%
    confused look on my face

do i need different thermal grease, or more or less (is there such a thing as too much?)

idle is 50*C, im not worried about that but
    would appriciate any comments

(not an invite to sarcasm..... maybe just a little)

thanx guys

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Welcome to TechSpot forums

Maybe the temperature doesn't drop much because the hot air stays inside the case. In other words, how's the airflow in & out the case?

3. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

Yes exactly you probably need some better case fan.

The exhaust ones are the coolest.

4. stockyhome

stockyhome TS Rookie Topic Starter

by using a couple of h/d cable ties to hold the 660g fan/hs a bit better the temp has dropped to 42*C at idle

i got this fan on brackets mounted on the fan, also it dosnt make any difference what angle the case is on

the case fan is a bit poor so i will replace it and see how that goes. the case is usually open so

here's a pic attached of what im going on about

Attached Files:

5. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,305   +52 Staff Member

Temperature can easily change based on ambient temps as well. Keep in mind a cooler day will definitely equate to cooler temps.. Sometimes by even more than 10*

6. stockyhome

stockyhome TS Rookie Topic Starter

yeah, wheather has been same over the last few days

im really starting to think that its not seated properly on the cpu

any opinons

7. SOB

SOB Banned Posts: 150

yeah

42 is normal...........and, when u play games, boom, up to 59 or so.......up or down on the fan rpm and nada, normal, for me......motherboard monitor does a good job of visualizing a general range of cpu temp...but, it's seated properly, you can count on that......sure u can reduce the temp, ie: water cooling, but, what for? other than fan noise, which u don't have, so forget it. considering ur current oc, ur staying pretty cool.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.