TechSpot

Fans questions?

By kesler
Nov 1, 2006
  1. I have a fan on the bottom of psu, cpu, and rear case. I want to add a fan in my pci slot at the bottom. I'm trying to help my son's emachine last longer. Can you have too many fans?

2. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

As long as you have the airflow going in the right direction, you can't have too many fans. Air typically is sucked in from the front, and blown out the back of the case.

3. kesler

kesler TS Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 141

When hooking up these fans is it better to use the 3 pin right to mobo or plug in directly to psu cable?

4. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,566

Some motherboards are better at this than others, but if you plug the fan directly into the motherboard it typically manages the speed of the fan for you (minimizing noise and power usage) so that only when the system is hot, the fan speeds up, and when it is not needed the fan slows down.

I'd connect it directly to the motherboard.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,987   +168

Outside of the PSU fan(s) only a rear exhaust and a front intake fan are needed...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.