Far Cry Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

olefarte

Just wondering if anybody here has played the Far Cry Game Demo yet. I finally got it, it's almost 500 MB. But it was worth the download. Haven't finished it yet, but so far it looks great, and has my interest.

Gameplay is not bad at all, and the graphics are pretty good to, only a few anomallies, that I hope will be fixed in the final game. I think this is one that I will be buying, while waiting for the other big name games to come out.

Anybody else tried this game and what are your opinions?

I haven't downloaded it yet. It's a 450+ mb file. Here's a list of mirros for those interested.

Installer ( without DirectX | 465mb ) :

3DGamers / Avault / Doupe.cz

Installer ( with DirectX | 496mb ) :

3DDownloads / FilePlanet ( Grab some beer, chips & go watch a movie ;) ) / FileShack / Boomtown

PS. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said the Crying Game (
bleh.gif
).

With Half-Life 2, Doom III and half a dozen others on their way this year is there really room for another FPS? In Far Cry's case the answer is most definitely "yes".
As the more observant of you will have noticed the larger part of Far Cry is set on a desert island. The reasons for this seeme to involve some sort of **** and bull story about you running an aeroplane charter service and having a female client kidnapped by mercenaries. Or something. To be honest I wasn’t really paying attention to such trivialities considering the quite awesome graphical spectacle the game offers. The training level actually starts out in a rusted WWII ship (the islands are littered with such things, including almost a whole aircraft carrier) but as you make it outside and take in the incredible view of the island paradise it really is a bit of a jaw dropper.
Here is a small review with some screenshots at Boomtown. No doubt not another Half-Life 2, but still looks to be not a bad game. Also, here is another link to a place where you can download, usually with out waiting in line. It's at my favoite download place, Gamer's Hell, 496 MB's, but they have some fast servers, if you have broadband.

It's a game which is supposed to give you unlimited freedom, unlike previous games with scripted events all the way through...

You can read more about it here...

I downloaded and started playing it, but wasn't really that impressed... I felt constrained, even though there were more ways than usual to complete a mission...

It could be that it was mostly the checkpoing saving parts that did this, as I felt that was a big annoyance, especially when you tried to do something not planned by the devs...
And also the fact that I couldn't drive the boat anywhere I wanted to was annoying... Why can't I take the boat around the entire island? Sure, they can try to shoot me down, but at least let me try!

And all the grass was just confusing... It would've been better if you could crouch into it, instead of having to jump over it to see... If 3d games had evovled to the point where you could either cut the grass/bend it, no sweat, but as it is........

But the game does have potential...
The graphics was nice, allthough I had a problem getting the brightness correct... Either the tunnels got too dark, or the sun got too bright... Aside from that it looked very nice!

I downloaded it 2 days ago when I first heard it was released.
It needs work but I was very impressed by the grafx and sounds. It's def. one I'm going to buy.
I just hope they work on it so the framerate is a little better. I couldn't get decent FPS at 1280x1024 on my 5900FX.

And at 1024x768, the aliasing is super bad compared to other games at same resolution.

optimize it, make the dude run a little faster and this will be a monster game.

Didn't this project start as a rendering engine called X-isle ? I heard they decided to make a game out of it to show what the engin was capable of ( a bit like Serious Sam & the Serious Engine ).

Sounds interesting......thanks guys. And thanks for the links. I'll give 'er a go when I get home tonight.....

Wow - after looking through those screenies I think I'll have a look-see. Seems as if someone went a little EMBM crazy in some of those shots.

Ubisoft (the company behind the game) originally released the Crytek graphics engine, sort of like their proprietary engine to be used in upcoming Ubi games. However, they decided to turn it into a full-fledged FPS.

I got the demo as well... Looks really sweet. With 2x AA, 1024x768, and all options on Medium, I still pull 35-45 fps, not too shabby..

Here's a nice little water reflection mod for Far Cry. Not a big deal but kind of nice when your around water. Get it here.

Here's word that the game will be released on DVD only.

An then, here's an article that say's there's been a leak of the game. Apparently it's not the full game though.

Say it isn't so. Half-Life 2 and now this? Hope it's not delayed because of this, although it sounds like it's not as serious as the Half-Life 2 leak. Maybe we'll still see it in March.

I'm getting no gun sounds suddenly

Hi,
I've been playing far cry for months now, and suddenly my gun is making no sounds. It's silence, then I can hear the bullets riccochet off of whatever they hit. I upgraded to v1.32 (i was at v1.31), but it didn't fix it. Anybody have this problem?

Hey axeugene.

I had a problem with sound a little while ago. I could hear the music but no sound effects or speech from the enemies. What i did was go in the system file within the far cry root folder and re enable sound by editing the text where appropriate. If any of the sound configs have a "0" by them just change it to "1" and try it. Make a copy of the original file incase anything goes wrong. Hope this helps.

Yes, it was that.

schnewb said:
Hey axeugene.

I had a problem with sound a little while ago. I could hear the music but no sound effects or speech from the enemies. What i did was go in the system file within the far cry root folder and re enable sound by editing the text where appropriate. If any of the sound configs have a "0" by them just change it to "1" and try it. Make a copy of the original file incase anything goes wrong. Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot. That worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back