Far Cry patch 1.2 now available

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
I know a lot of you have been waiting for this one, at least I was, now going through the game in 'Realistic' mode, this great game sure has kept me entertained for the last month or so.

The long awaited 1.2 release adds quicksave support, increases run speeds and sprint lengths, fixes some Punkbuster problems, addresses a large number of gameplay issues, applies various optimizations and weapon tweaks, and squashes more bugs.

UPDATE By Per: We have received an alarming number of complaints from ATi card owners that are experiencing crashes after installing the 1.2 patch. The issue is being looked. At this time we suggest re-installing your game without the 1.2 patch.

Quote from Crytek written on HardOCP.

Great, I've been looking for this patch every day for a few weeks now!

Anyone that has not played this game owe it to themselves to start playing it, it sure is a great game!

this patch enables SM 3.0 support

all 6 series card owners will get to see unprecedented levels of realism in a display of what this game can do. leveraging directx 9.0c. ..........no other card need apply.

It looks like it might be a good idea to hold your horses on this patch, according to forum posts at UBI softs forums it breaks 5.1 sound, and is incompatible with old savegames, plus a host of other problems...

However others are reporting it works fine, including the savegames... Anyway, just wanted to ley everyone know before....

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=400102&f=34210466

Originally posted by SOB
all 6 series card owners will get to see unprecedented levels of realism in a display of what this game can do. leveraging directx 9.0c. ..........no other card need apply.

Realism will not change one bit. There are no visual differences, just an increase in performance for cards that can use the new functions. That's all.

I see there's Shadermodel 2.0b support for Ati cards...
Now, i've got Dx9.0c installed from SP2.

What about Ati drivers that support it? anybody knows where to get that?

Unless of course 4.7 have SB2b enabled...

it ain't happenin'

for ati cards. 24 bit support only. no 3.0. draw your own conclusions.

"Beta - Shader Model 2.0b Support in Far Cry

Activating Shader Model 2.0b in Far Cry Patch 1.2
1. Install Microsoft DirectX 9.0c (Summer Update 2004) Build 1221 or later.
2. Install ATI driver that supports Shader Model 2.0b
3. Install Far Cry Patch 1.2
4. Option 1: Copy fxc.exe from <DirectX 9.0c install folder>\Utilities to
<Far Cry Patch 1.2 Install folder>\bin32

Note that the default installation folder for DirectX 9.0c (Summer Update 2004) is “C:\Program Files\Microsoft DirectX 9.0 SDK (Summer 2004)”.

Note that the default installation folder for Far Cry is
“c:\Program Files\Ubisoft\Crytek\Far Cry”

Option 2: Copy fxc.exe sent to you to <Far Cry Patch 1.2 Install folder>\bin32

Running the Shader Model 2.0b Path in Far Cry Patch 1.2
1. Run Far Cry in DEVMODE: FarCry.exe -DEVMODE
2. Bring up the Far Cry console by pressing “`” (back-quote without the double quotes – this is also usually the key with a tilde, “~”)
3. Type: \r_SM2BPATH 1 to turn Shader Model 2.0b on, and \r_SM2BPATH 0 to turn it off. This can be done dynamically within the game.
4. Type: \map <mapname> to load a map. For example: \map research will load the Research map.
5. Type: \demo <demoname> to run a demo. For example: \demo research will run the Research demo (see below for information on scripting this).

You can confirm that the Shader Model 2.0b Path is being used from the legend “SM20b Path Beta” that shows up in bold yellow at the top left of the screen as shown in the Far Cry screenshot below. When Shader Model 2.0b is off, no legend will be displayed.

Troubleshooting
1. I am seeing corruption when I turn on the Shader Model 2.0b path. What is wrong?
A: Make sure you copied fxc.exe from the DirectX9.0c install (or the one sent to you) to the Bin32 folder in Far Cry (See step 4 above)

2. I tried turning on ShaderModel 2.0b in the Far Cry console but I don’t see the yellow text indicating the SM2.0b Path. Why?
A: Make sure you are using an ATI driver with Shader Model 2.0b support and you have installed DirectX 9.0c.

3. Why do I need to copy fxc.exe from the DirectX9.0c folder to the Far Cry folder?
A: Far Cry needs fxc.exe from DirectX9.0c which exposes Shader Model 2.0b in order to compile its shader files to use SM2.0b.

4. How can I activate Shader Model 2.0b from the command line?
A: You can use: FarCry.exe –DEVMODE “r_SM2BPath=1”

5. Can I set other parameters in the command line so I can create and run benchmark scripts?
A: Yes, for example, the following command line parameters will set different options:

FarCry.exe –DEVMODE ““r_SM2BPath 1” “"#demo_num_runs=1" "#demo_quit=1" "map research" "demo research" "#r_Width=1600" "#r_Height=1200"

This will run the demo “research” two times in the “research” map, at 1600x1200, with SM2.0b turned on, quitting after the second run. The results will be logged in the file “research.log” in the Levels/Research folder.

We recommend that you run a demo twice, and use the second score, as the first run usually includes the time to load FarCry dll’s etc. into memory."

it ain't happenin' huh?

boy, you went to alot of trouble

to show me ati supports shader 2.0. big whoop. no shader 3.0/32 bit support for ati cards.

negative

you wanted 2.0.... you got 2.0....nuff said. i thought you were aspiring for something more. ;)

I please ask you to stop the flaming, if you are not going to provide me with the information i need, please do not post.
Thanx...

hey, get off my arse

i won't say it again. i told you i misunderstood your question. some people.

Re: hey, get off my arse

Originally posted by SOB
i won't say it again. i told you i misunderstood your question. some people.
SOB your are being a Nvidia marketing tool to the point of laughablilty. We know that the NV40 architecture has SM3.0 support and R420 do not. We know that you think Nvidia is the pimpest company this side of Silicon Valley because you've chosen to purchase one of their new cards. So please, chill on the fanboying.

Back on topic, has anybody run any benchies on 9800pro or XT with sm 2.0b enabled? Is SM 2.0b even supported on R300 cards? What ATI drivers support SM2.0b? I may do some research and benchmarking when I get home, time for work now though.

listen

i'm upgrading from a 9800 pro, because @ the time , it, was the best. just offering up an opinion on what i believe is the nextbest. this will also change the minute ati overcomes their defecit. simple as that. i really can't believe everyone has their guard up. i thought this is what these forums are about. apparently, for some, carry a chip on their shoulder towards any enthusiasm toward any direction. i wonder why that is. kinda reminds me of who has what on the block, and the animosity directed at the joneses for having whatever it is you don't have. that's the way i see it. excuse me for not knowing, you knew it all. i'll terminate myself from your presence. don't have time for this bs.

It seems you made a very good purchase in buying the Nvid card. We are all very proud of you. If you can find me a GT for $300, I'll even over-look your boorish behavior:grinthumb

hehe, thx

hey, u know, i am a little overbearing. i guess it comes from being a former coach, and currently a supervisor in my trade. the best i've seen so far is what best buy is offering @ 399. yet for some unfathomable reason, a company called jaton is selling or will be selling a 256 meg 6800 card. but, they do not call it the gt. as of yet. but, 303 ain't bad. go to buy .com, run a search for jaton, it's #43 on the list, if it's the same card, and 1-2wks delivery. and, personally, the 128 version of the 6800 is down and dirty on price as well........ cheers.:D

True or not? From an un-named source. An interesting read none the less, it's not all like this. Read the whole article here.
So what about the juicy gossip? Well to say today has been a dramatic day is an understatement, during our testing period for the last 12 hours or so we have spent alot of time on the phone and in email to many people in the industry, one such person in the industry even stated this:

"Nvidia encouraged Crytek to use partial precision in the shaders wherever possible. This means that many of the shaders will run in 16-bit precision, not the 32-bit precision (a requirement of SM3.0) that they are touting to the press. Ironically, while promoting the 32-bit precision of SM3.0 as a "must have", Nvidia is asking developers to use less precision than was available in SM1.0 - that is, all the way back in DirectX8! Even more ironically, ATI hardware will run most of the FarCry shaders more accurately (ATI hardware runs all shaders in 24-bit precision). Microsoft, the owner of DirectX, defines 24-bit and greater as "full precision" and 16-bit as "partial precision", Nvidia has claimed that ATI paid Crytek to delay the patch and include ATI features (the figure mentioned was $500k!)."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back