Faraday Future teases its first consumer EV, a 4-door crossover

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Faraday Future, the hopeful Tesla competitor that created a stir with its 1,000 horsepower FFZero1 concept car at the Consumer Electronics Show in January, has published a teaser video showcasing what is believed to be its first production vehicle.

The upcoming EV is only briefly featured in the clip as it zips around what looks like Willow Springs (thanks, years of playing racing games). The clip runs just 15 seconds and, in typical automotive teaser fashion, we don’t get a clear look at the vehicle as it’s draped in the type of camouflage covering often found on pre-production vehicles conducting tests on public streets.

Despite its best efforts, Faraday Future’s FFZero1 concept leaked out ahead of its big reveal at CES. As an over-the-top concept, the FFZero1 didn’t really give the public much of an idea of what to expect from the company.

Based on what little we can see in the latest teaser, Faraday Future’s first consumer vehicle looks to be a four-door SUV / crossover.

A company spokesperson told The Verge that the video not only showcases its prototype in action, it illustrates their car’s ongoing high-performance testing. The rep added that they will continue to publish teasers in the weeks leading up to what is expected to be the big reveal at CES 2017.

Permalink to story.

Sweet - another EV company naming themselves after a scientist who worked with electricity. I'm sure no one will think they copied Tesla.

Michael Faraday was the one who figured out that you can create an electrical current with a magnet. It's how all our electricity is generated today. You could argue we're all already living in a Faraday Future.

If electric vehicles are to be our future there is nothing wrong with competition at all .

I purchased Tesla stock back in 2012 after I drove the first Model S p85 because I realized that the company was on to something when I saw how awesome the car was.

I was part of a small group of potential investors who took a tour of tesla's existing vehicles at the time and we bought 500 shares each .

Those 500 shares are worth excellent money and I was hoping they would reach $300 so I could sell but it feels to be as if the ceiling is between $250 and 280 .

I will definitely invest in Faraday because they have learned from Tesla.

Crossover vehicles are favored in the market over large sedans because they offer more interior space with a smaller footprint.

If all of you invest at least $5000 into faraday with an IPO becomes available I can almost promise you you won't be upset three or four years down the road .

Electric vehicles are being forced on us by government regulations.

Personally, I have a Jeep SRT and I'm trading for a TRACKHAWK HELLCAT.

Model X was nice and spacious and even the.base model was fast, but I prefer my vehicles LOUD.

Well, not to worry. Someday they will name one the Edison so it will be expensive, run on the wrong current, and be limited to about 5 miles before needing to be recharged!

Noteworthy that Tesla actually turned a profit in the past quarter, but it wasn't clear if they were just counting all thoes $$ set down to reserve a car or if they actually turned that $22mil over all costs, but impressive no less since the industry still claims he won't make a dime on it. Now if he would just figure out a way to make a car for under $30,000 so most people could afford it. Could somebody send him the book on the history of the VW????

Sweet - another EV company naming themselves after a scientist who worked with electricity. I'm sure no one will think they copied Tesla.

Michael Faraday was the one who figured out that you can create an electrical current with a magnet. It's how all our electricity is generated today. You could argue we're all already living in a Faraday Future.
He's also the man for which they named the unit of measure for the capacitor... "Farad". (Albeit in a slightly abbreviated form).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farad

Well, not to worry. Someday they will name one the Edison so it will be expensive, run on the wrong current, and be limited to about 5 miles before needing to be recharged!
Right! They could name their first offering the "DC-1"..

Noteworthy that Tesla actually turned a profit in the past quarter, but it wasn't clear if they were just counting all those $$ set down to reserve a car or if they actually turned that $22mil over all costs, but impressive no less since the industry still claims he won't make a dime on it.
Well, Musk is the only car maker people seem to give money to hand over fist, based on a bunch of his hot air and bullsh!t promises. He kind of reminds me of "Wimpy", from the "Popeye" cartoons. ("Give me a hamburger today, for which I will repay you on Tuesday").

Besides, it doesn't really matter if Musk ever turns a profit. The snake oil salesmen and parasites at the NYSE, who appear to be in lockstep with him, seem to be able to drive Tesla stock prices upward anyway. The more his company loses, the more the stock is worth.
Now if he would just figure out a way to make a car for under $30,000 so most people could afford it.
Ain't gonna happen! Musk will just blame the price of his cars on "inflation", and regurgitate his standard propaganda, along with continuing to portray himself as, "a victim".

Could somebody send him the book on the history of the VW????
What for? I'm sure if Musk didn't write it about himself, he wouldn't consider it worth reading.

I'm still waiting for Musk to release, "Mein Kampf with the Rest of the Auto Industry"... :eek:

Last edited:
If electric vehicles are to be our future there is nothing wrong with competition at all .

I purchased Tesla stock back in 2012 after I drove the first Model S p85 because I realized that the company was on to something when I saw how awesome the car was.

I was part of a small group of potential investors who took a tour of tesla's existing vehicles at the time and we bought 500 shares each .

Those 500 shares are worth excellent money and I was hoping they would reach $300 so I could sell but it feels to be as if the ceiling is between $250 and 280 .

I too bought some Tesla stock - and it was a great investment. I think now though $220 seems high for it - and even after they turned their profit it only went up to $210.

Yes competition is good. But Faraday is not the only ones. Tesla's biggest competition will probably be the Chevy Bolt (full EV - not the Volt - Hybrid). To quote WIRED magazine talking about Chevy switching over to making EV's -
Think of the old expression about how long it takes to turn an aircraft carrier around: It's slow and there's not much to see at any given moment. But the thing about people who actually manage to turn one around is: They've got a freaking aircraft carrier!.

I like the competition - the more the better. But I'd be careful to think stock in EV startup's is a smart bet. It's not a small niche market. It's going to have many players. If you want to invest in the future of EV's I'd pick the battery supplier. Maybe Tesla - if their new factory sells batteries to other car makers. Or maybe another company altogether. Go find the EV battery startup that stands to supply the new industry and invest in them.

I too bought some Tesla stock - and it was a great investment. I think now though $220 seems high for it - and even after they turned their profit it only went up to $210.

Yes competition is good. But Faraday is not the only ones. Tesla's biggest competition will probably be the Chevy Bolt (full EV - not the Volt - Hybrid). To quote WIRED magazine talking about Chevy switching over to making EV's -

I like the competition - the more the better. But I'd be careful to think stock in EV startup's is a smart bet. It's not a small niche market. It's going to have many players. If you want to invest in the future of EV's I'd pick the battery supplier. Maybe Tesla - if their new factory sells batteries to other car makers. Or maybe another company altogether. Go find the EV battery startup that stands to supply the new industry and invest in them.

Faraday, Tesla, Fisker.

We could be ending up with another "big three".

Sped up video doesn't make me want to buy the car. So far, its a no go for Faraday. Do any of these car companies get federal funds?? or are they just "writing off' their losses on their fed taxes, either way, we the taxpayer are getting screwed.

Back