Fast connection, High ping, Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
Ive got a cable connection to the internet and a wireless home connection thats connects at anything from 6mps to 54mps(changes like every second) and when I start a game like doom 3 or area 51 and press tab, it shows that my ping is around 200-300. Why?
I thought when you had a fast connection to the internet your ping is low.
It messes up game play.

Stats:
P4 2.4 ghz
128mb geforce 6600 GT AGP
1 gig Ram (supposed to run at 400hz but runs pc doesn't support it so it runs at 266hz)

When's the last time you did a scan for adware and spybots? Do you use Spybot and Ad-Ware SE software to scan for these things?

Also turn off your firewall when gaming, but remember to turn it back on after.
In control panel/internet connections/ right click on your internet connection icon-select properties. Now uncheck everything except TCP/IP. TCP/IP MUST be on or else your internet won't work.

Last thing, for the Doom3 and other games goto TweakGuides.com and read about the settings you can make within the game to improve your ping and FPS.

Hope this helps.

damn u get 6-54 mbps?!?!?! thats ....T3 speed!!! hehehe but um lemme see....unless i'm mistakin...u probably aren't getting 54 or even 6 mbps cuz lets face it....only businesses get that....all these wireless routers say they can pass 54 mbps max...but your probably running 1.5 or 3 mbps max

The 6-54mps connection is just my LAN not my internet speed. i just put that in because it's my SPECS. i connect at about 1-1.5mps.

i use both bots and they do nothing in this respect. i'll try the firewall, thanks.

you're problem is your wireless connection. wireless can connect up to a maximum of 54 mbs, but if you have a direct cable connection (wired) it can connect at up to 100 mbs. get a direct connection. wireless is no good.

asc_up said:
you're problem is your wireless connection. wireless can connect up to a maximum of 54 mbs, but if you have a direct cable connection (wired) it can connect at up to 100 mbs. get a direct connection. wireless is no good.

I agree. You should try to use your router without wireless to play for a while and then check your ping again. I bet the wireless conection is adding latency.

Also cable tends to get worse latency in my experience, since dsl is a point to point conection to the service provider and cable is a WAN(if I am right).

compres

It could be the wireless connection speed, but it is unlikely, because your WAN connection is only 1.5mbps and your wireless LAN is 54mbps. So it shouldn't be due to the 54mbps instead of 100mbps (or 1gbps).

Ive got a cable connection to the internet and a wireless home connection thats connects at anything from 6mps to 54mps(changes like every second)
It seems like the signal strength from your router to your adapter is very weak. Try to have as little wall as possible between your router and your adapter. Remember that any signal approaching a wall at a small angle has to travel through the wall diagonally (much longer distance), which makes them weaker than a signal approaching the wall at, for example, a 90 degree angle.

Do scan your computer for adware/spyware/malware/etc/etc/ using Ad-Aware and Spybot. They can really bog down the connection sometimes.

Do you have all the necessary ports open to play these games online?

It could be the wireless connection speed, but it is unlikely, because your WAN connection is only 1.5mbps and your wireless LAN is 54mbps. So it shouldn't be due to the 54mbps instead of 100mbps (or 1gbps).

Remember that the bps is a measure of bandwidth, and has nothing to do with latency. You could be on a modem and have good enough latency to play quake 3 for example.

I agree that a weak signal on the wireless connection might be cousing an increase in latency, but don't know to what degree.

A good idea would be to go to a friend's house(better if he lives close) who has the same service as him(cable from the same isp) and play a game to check the latency.

Believe me - it's the wireless. And please read the previous post closely. My face got hot just reading the posts prior to it with no one saying anything about the difference between bandwidth and latency.

thanks all you guys, i've been looking for a spare cable and i found one so i will try. its taking so long because everything is wireless means that not everything is in the same room. my computer is upstairs and the router is downstairs :( but i'll try and if wireless is the problem, then i think i will make a plan :confused:

oh, i've got a cable connection

As everyone has pointed out, it is your wireless 54Mbps network that's causing the high ping. Also, when you're playing, make sure it's a server around your area. If you're playing on an overseas server, that would explain your high ping.

just for clarity, DO NOT use any ping menu choice offered by a game.
instead, get a command prompt and run PING $SITE.DOMAIN-Name.
better still, try TRACERT $SITE.DOMAIN-Name
which will show you the number of systems you are traversing to get to $SITE.DOMAIN-Name.
The more sites, the higher the latency; eg the sum all all the times shown :-(
Also, when you're playing, make sure it's a server around your area​

Just to let you know, I experience the same thing, but only when using wireless. When I hook up direct (most of time or all the time if I'm gaming) I get a much better speed and ping. Wireless is not always a good option if you're into gaming or other bandwidth intensive task. Cat 5 when you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back