Faster Copy on the fly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

I have just installed a TDK 20/10/40 writer and am impressed, thats not hard as i previously had an external yamaha 4/4/16.

Anyway
I should apparently be able to burn a cd in about 4 mins but I suspect that this is only from an image on the hd.

I have the TDK as secondary master and my 48x cd as slave, all works well but to record from one to the other on the on the same IDE is very slow about 18mins for 18music tracks.

My Epox8kta3+pro board has the option to connect to 2 ide raid ports.

Is it likely to speed up the transfer if I connect the cd reader to the Raid IDE.

I have not used this facility yet and any help will be appreciated as I mostly just want to quickly copy some CDs to use in the car.

Would I also set the reader as a master or slave.

I think the reason it takes so long is because your burner probably implements that anti buffer-underrun problem (burn-proof), and your 2 cd drives on the same ide cable can't keep up with those transfer speeds so kicking in and out of burn proof slows it down significantly. <--This is my best guess, I don't know for sure.
With a 48x cd I would bet the fastest way aside from keeping them on seperate ide cables would not to burn "on the fly" just uncheck it and let it cache it to your hard drive.

:dead: It's no use trying to copy discs on the fly from the same bus. The slave device will use master's ide controller and as it's busy, coasters are likely to appear (but you have Burn-Proof, good for you).

I may be wrong here but i have the epox also and i couldnt run cdroms of the Raid controllers, i thought i remembered hearing that as well, but run each cdrom on its own ide, put the hard drive on the raid, and make sure DMA is enabled on the burner.

Sometimes it takes a while to extract audio tracks. For example I have DVD-Drive ( DVD 12x - IDE 40x ) that can extract audio tracks in 8x so the burner has to wait for the info (Burnproof too). That's why I'd rather do an image & then burn it...

The Burner itself can extract Audio tracks in 24x so sometimes I pop the CD in the burner, extract it with a prog & then pop in a blanc CD & burn the wav files. It's actually faster ;)

what about data?

It could be that the music extraction is slow. Giving every drive it's own ide-channel will certainly speed up things.

I have an A7V so I have 4 IDE busses : two on the 686a southbridge ( N°1 has the burner N°2 the DVD Drive) & my two hard drives are on the Promise ATA100 Bus, each on his bus of course ;)

Maybe a little help needed here.

I have just set Burner as primary master
Cd reader as Secondary slave
Hard disk on raid

It all works but everything is a bit jittery my mouse pointer jumps and things open slower and the sound is crackly.

Any ideas,

Im going to copy a cd to see if it makes any difference.

Originally posted by ptitterington
Maybe a little help needed here.

It all works but everything is a bit jittery my mouse pointer jumps and things open slower and the sound is crackly.

Do you mean during the burning process???

no. All the time. It is like the machine is 50% slower.

I do not know much about the raid ports but prehaps they are not as quick as the normal IDE.

:(

no. All the time. It is like the machine is 50% slower.
I do not know much about the raid ports but prehaps they are not as quick as the normal IDE.
:(

Hmmz... RAID is created to be faster and more secure than SCSI (and therefore IDE)... IDE RAID isn't quite as fast as SCSI, but that's another discussion...

And considering you're not utilizing the RAID capabilities, but just using it as an IDE controller, you should see now difference...

Are you sure it's as fast as the regular IDE controller?
Do you have the latest drivers for the RAID controller? (You have installed the RAID drivers?!)

What IRQ are the RAID controller on, and what IRQ are the soundcard on? (RAID controllers should be at an IRQ entirely by themselves)

What soundcard do you use?

What OS are you on? (w2k shouldn't have any probs with RAID and IRQ (that I've encountered))

Alternatively you could return to your prior setup, but slave the reader on the same IDE controller as your harddrive, but that would limit what you could do whilst copying...

.02$

I am on XPhomo edition My sound card is Creative live1024 which after downloading everything(previous post) Latest drivers, fixes infinite loop bla bla just will not work with UT. I have given up for now.

The difficulth with XP is that I appear to have the correct raid drivers but there is a problem still with Epox and I have been unable to see if I actually have the latest available highpoint drivers.

I have returned to the original settings - Maxtor hd pri master
TDK writer sec mast
CD reader sec slave
And have good success with burning from an image.

I have bad experiences of putting anything else on the same cable as the HD 7200rpm mixed with 5000 caused lockupd as did slave cd.

What I have works fine but I dont see why I cannot copy at high speed from 1 cd to another.

I will spend this weekend tinkering.

Epox 8tka3+pro maxtor 30gig athlon 1.4 512meg sd Geforce 2mx Creative 1024.

What I have works fine but I dont see why I cannot copy at high speed from 1 cd to another.
I will spend this weekend tinkering.

Then there might be what I recently read in the Nero help file about disk-at-once... Not all cdroms read music as fast as specified... They might actually be reading around 4x instead of 48x! Dunno the reason, but I guess Ahead does know what it's talking about...

.02$

Don't break your head on not being able to burn on the fly. As I said before, maybe you have a 40X cdrom, but the audio-extraction is like 6x. I have a top notch system that isn't able to reach on the fly. (actually, it's slower on the fly than via the HDD.) Plextor released a 40x burner, forget about on the fly using an IDE system. Those speeds are just not possible in real life. The fastest audioextraction I heard of (correct me if I'm mistaken) is like 24x (MAX!!!!!!!!). Just don't worry.

And let's be realistic, at a burnspeed of 24x, using the HDD makes the copy take like 2 minutes longer. What's 2 minutes? A whole cd in less than 5 minutes is good for me.

Torn i think that you are right.
The 48x reader actually only reads at 6x

Its a bit of a con
The writeups cofirmed a 3-4 minute copy of an audio cd but forgot to mention the 6-7 minutes putting the tracks to the hd

I have also downloaded the latest raid drivers etc and pluggd everything in as before and again had the same delayed action.

I suppose its another post but is the raid connections and the normal IDE the same or does it get slowed down sonewhere, Im only wondering as I hoped to put another HD or 2 there as my photo and video store.

ar well in my lifetime we will have computers that are as quick as they should be now.

Ide and CD-R

Normally you cannot put a non-hard drive on a raid channel. The best and fastest way I know of is to put each cd device (cd-rom and cd-rw) on seperate channels as masters then burn a copy that way. Also depends on your software. I use Clone CD and NTI CD Maker 2000 and both let you set the options of how fast you can copy. I have a Samsung 16x10x32 and can burn a copy of a disk anywhere from 4-7 minutes depending on how i have the buring software set.

Take care

Boeingfixer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back