Favorite Book?

Vehementi

This could have been a subsidiary of Favourite Things, but I find it worthy of its own thread.

Basically, I'm just wondering what everyone's favorite books are. No informational books or documentation, please, novels :grinthumb

Right now mine is probably the Langoliers, by Stephen King. It's a tad on the short side. It's a novella from his Four Past Midnight book, a collection of 3 other books.
Blackhawk Down was great too.
This book I'm reading now, The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver, is turning out quite good so far.

Novels, Novels...

What are they?

Well, the last one I read was the bit at the end of The Salmon of Dobut that is a bit of a novel, and before that it was Almost Harmless, both by Douglas Adams.

Good Omens has to be my favorite though

Favorite Book!

Anyone ever read anything from Willliam Cooper?

Behold A Pale White Horse is the most amazing book. It's also the most popular underground book ever!

The dude is a former Intelligence agent and pretty much spills the beans on everything from Kennedy's assasination, aliens, to the creation of aids. He also provides the documentation to prove what he is writing.

Now this is a tough one. I say it depends on what mood I'm in. Some favorites are:

- The lord of the rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien

- The count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas

- The case of Charles Dexter Ward, by H.P. Lovecraft

- The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy (+ four others), by Douglas Adams

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

- The hitch-hiker's guide to the galaxy (+ four others), by Douglas Adams

That is a great book. as was LOR

Another of my favorite books is Naked Lunch, if you haven't read it please do, it will entertain you and disturb you at the same time.

I mostly like collections of short stories and novellas though, like Stephen King's Four Past Midnight, and Skeleton Crew, or The Canterburry Tales by Geofrey Chaucer.

There are too many good ones to choose one really because now that I really think about it I can think of several really good ones, Most by Stephen King. There is only one of his books I didn't care for and that was Insomnia

6 years after I first read it, the Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien is still my favorite piece if fiction. In fact, reading the LOR was what made me the reader I am today. It is just such a beautifully detailed, amazing epic. It has that quality of seeming 'right' at every turn. As if every word or action by every character was written long before Tolkien ever put pen to paper.

1984 by Orwell is amazing as well.

Difficult to pick a favourite, there are so many for lots of different reasons. LOR has to be one of my favourite books. Captain Corelli's Mandolin had me crying (Its far better better than the film), and the rest of Louis DeBerniers books are all very good. Also recommended is anything by Ian McEwan (Atonement & Enduring Love, amongst others).

I agree w/many of the choices. King is a fav as is Tolkien. In the same genre: Bradbury (Far.451, I sing the body electric, Martian Chron. etc) Issac Asimov & Heinlien.

I also like Louis L'Amour westerns. Prolly read 90% of his stories. Been a long time, but the Jack Kerouac & Carlos Castenada books were 'different' but good. Jack London also has a style I like. :cool:

Mict.> saw ya @ GLExcess. :wave: Nice score. :grinthumb

Gnerma> Welcome aboard, neighbor! I'm 35 miles from Visalia. Small world, eh? ;)

Spliffy> that you @ DH I saw?

Reading: it's FUNdemental. :D

Ok I'm gonna have to change my favorite book choice...

I just finished The Blue Nowhere, and it's honestly the most addictive book I've ever read. I stayed up til 2 am one morning reading it :dead:

Mick Foley's autobiographies are among my favorites. Anything by Chuck Palahniuk is good. 1984 probably sticks with me the most because of it's meaning and significance. The Hitchhiker's guide was good, but not my favorite.

tossup...

I have many favorites, such as Terry Brooks' Shannara Series, Stephen King's Gunslinger series, Tom Clancy's Red StromRising, and I can't forget Dragonlance by Weis and Hickman. I like a lot of different stuff.:p

P.S. Almost forgot Tolkien! May God and J.R.R. forgive me!!:eek:

Lots of favourites already mentioned and I guess it must be J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" if I must chose only one. I read it for the fifth time this spring and it was really better then ever. Guess it will follow me throughout my life - I'll be reading it every 5:th year or so - each time it will be a different book of sorts. When I read it at 13, the first time, I remember having a vividly changed view of nature: all trees were individuals, everything seemed to be endowed with consciousness, albeit perhaps sleeping or dreaming. I was never alone.

Stormbringer> Williams S. Burrough's "The Naked Lunch" was my bible for a couple of years. Strangely enough, all his other novels are very much inferior to it, although he always has his moments.

JAV> Ray Bradbury's "Martian Chronicles" is the best collection of science fiction short stories ever.

Here's a couple of others:

Edgar Allen Poe's "The Complete Stories" - the best collection of short stories ever. Also a reread over and over again since I was 12 or something.

Brian Aldiss "Helliconia" - A huge novel (or rather three) about a planet with an eccentric sun-orbit which makes for eon-long seasons. Its civilizations and history is monitored by a spacecraft from Earth. A great read and much of it still lingers, three years later.

Marquis de Sade "Juliette" - I had a de Sade period at the same time as I "studied" human evil by reading a lot on Nazism, Communism, apocalyptic religion etc. and for me de Sade is the only fiction author who truly has charted this aspect of man, which I think should be a more important subject, considering how many millions who have died because of it. It is horror that has a physical dimension as it really hurts to read. It's also the philosophy of atheism - man alone, without god - taken to it's extreme. Not for everyone, though, as it is filled with never ending stomage turning descriptions of evil.

I could go on, but then it would be even more OT.

Back