Favorites Gone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on vacation and my PC was used by the office. Now when I launch Internet Explorer 6, my favorites are gone. The Favorites folder is still intact and the favorites locations are listed there, however, I can not see them from the Internet explorer window.

I am suspecting it is a setting somewhere but have not a clue where. Can anyone help?

Gandulf

Hi

From this site, i did a google on "IE missing favorites"

When you click the Favorites menu in Internet Explorer, all of your favorite URLs may be missing. This might happen if the Favorites Shell Folder is set incorrectly. Open Registry Editor and navigate to:

For Windows XP

[HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders]

Set the Favorites path to %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

The above should be a REG_EXPAND_SZ value, not REG_SZ

The Favorites Shell Folders path reverts back ?

Sometimes, the Shell Folders path for Favorites may revert to the previous setting. To prevent that, read below:

Checkpoints:

If you've only altered the "Shell Folders" value, it usually reverts back (in accordance to the User Shell Folders value). You need to alter the Favorites path in User Shell Folders key.
If you're using an environmental variable such as "%Userprofile%", you need to create a REG_EXPAND_SZ value type, rather than REG_SZ. Also, note that REG_EXPAND_SZ type can accept either formats.
Disable any browser / favorites management software provided by your ISP and reset the Shell Folders as above. If it does not help, see if the *.URL files exists in the hard drive by doing a file search. They may be present in a different folder. Example.. Earthlink's software...Courtesy of MS-MVP Alan Edwards.

Be cautious when editing the registry if done wrong it can seriously mess your PC

Regards

IE Favorites are Gone

I checked all the settings, with regedit, they were correct; as you specified.

Signed on as Administrator, checked Admin Favorites they too were correct in IE. I then exported them to the Root Drive; C:\BMUsername.html

Signed back in as Username, and fired up IE. Imported Favorites: C:\BMUsername.html; lo and behold they were back in the Username Favorites Folder.

Thanks for the help.

Collectively problem solved.

Gandulf

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back