Favorites in IE6

By jshields13
Jan 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I recently had to install a new hard drive because my old one was defective. Windows XP has been reinstalled and all updates downloaded. Everything I needed to reinstall has been installed successfully, except for my favorites folder. I copied my favorites from a floppy to the favorites folder in Windows Explorer and they all show up there. They are also there when I click on "Favorites" on the tool bar at the top of Windows Explorer. My problem is that they do NOT show up when I click on favorites in Internet Explorer!! Can someone suggest what I need to do to make them appear. Thanks!!
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

Did you copy them into the proper directory?
    \Documents and Settings\{your username}\Favorites

You may have copied them as sub-directories of the (installed) Favorites.
  3. Masque

Masque TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,212

Exactly....keep in mind that with XP and W2K, personal settings and folders such as My Documents and Favorites are all a subset of the individual profiles.
  4. jshields13

jshields13 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 128

I'm fairly certain I copied to the correct folder, but I'll check tonight. Thanks for your help.
  5. jshields13

I am the only user on my computer. The favorites are in the right place. I also added them to "All Users", but they still do not show up in Internet Explorer.
  6. RealBlackStuff

Open up IE. On the left top, click on Files, then on Import and Export... and follow the Wizard.

If you get double entries, empty the whole Favorites folder under your [username]. Then do the same thing again and import them from "All users". Afterwards, you can empty the "All users"
  7. jshields13

Thanks. I'm still having a problem. I'm getting a message that they are not valid files. I will copy them again on Monday and try again. Am I correct in that I have to copy the individual files as opposed to coping the folders?
  8. RealBlackStuff

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.