Favourite music genre?

By Julio Franco
Feb 18, 2002
Post New Reply
  1. I think there was a similar thread posted on the old forums, though it was more related to the "song sticking in your head".

Anyway, I guess I should start off by posting my favourites, right?
    Well, it's a bit more complicated than that, I'm always open to new stuff when it comes to music, well just not that much. For example, I had never listened much Pink Floyd kind of music, but my friends love it and two weeks ago I returned from my trip singing "wish you were here", not my current favourite, I just liked it.

When it comes to genres, I like rock (nothing too heavy though) & punk (then again not the heavy variations) the most I think. I also like to listen some pop and romantic though, even bohemian, heh... latin rock is good as well as tropical genres.

Here are some of the songs that I think deserve a mention, some of them I haven't even heard in a while, just that they have had a meaning to me through my life ;) - I will probably miss a few ones, but anyway:

Guns n Roses - November Rain
    No use for a name - On the Outside
    MxPx - Middle Name
    Mana - Te solte la rienda/Vivir sin aire
    Nek - Como vivir sin ti/Si se q te tengo a ti
    Bon Jovi - Always
    Alberto Plaza - Pudo ser un gran amor
    GoldFinger - More today than yesterday
    Luis Miguel - Contigo Aprendi

Yup, I guess I'm love... :giddy: heh, no comments about that one, please ;)
  2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

I think my favorite type of music genre is probably modern rock, although I like all types of music except jazz and classical. It usually depends on the type of mood I am in, or what knds of radio stations are around.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,415   +281

I listen to Alternative Rock to Somewhat harder Rock to punk.
    Bands include:
    Blink 182
    Green Day (older stuff)
    Nirvana
    Sublime
    Taproot
    Madhops
    System of a Down
    Tool (didn't much like until I started listening to them on my own)
    Deftones
    Cake
    Papa Roach (not so much Infest - rather some unreleased albums 2 of which are *5 Tracks Deep and *Let 'Em Know)

I will listen to other stuff.

Stuff I don't want to listen to:
    Pop
    Country

Disclaimer: I will not hold it against anyone if they like pop and country.
  4. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

I'm a big System of a Down guy myself, but I do enjoy the usual Tool, Linkin Park, Papa Roach and Adema...Yep, I'm a rock guy.
  5. DaveSylvia

DaveSylvia Newcomer, in training Posts: 127

Rock is my genre. Soft rock, 80's rock, classic rock, etc, etc. I Also enjoy classical music from time to time. I don't particularly like rap or country.

Some favorite songs:

ACDC - You Shook Me All Night Long
    Boston - More Than A Feeling, Peace of Mind
    Chicago - You're The Inspiration, Hard Habit to Break
    Cindi Lauper - Girls Just Want To Have Fun, Time After Time
    Dave Mathews Band - Ants Marching, Satellite
    Goo Goo Dolls - Name
    Journey - Faithfully, Open Arms
    Linkin Park - Papercut, In the End
    Third Eye Blind - Jumper, God of Wine
    ---------------------
    U2 - Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Where the Streets Have no Name, Beautiful Day, etc.
  6. Whack0

Whack0 Newcomer, in training Posts: 169

i pretty much listen to ABC..... Anything But Country :D :rolleyes:

here's a few i listen to (randomly picked out of my longass list of faves)...
    Angela Ammons
    Animaniac :D
    Bon Jovi
    BackStreet Boys
    Britney Spears
    Creed
    Insane Clown Posse
    Papa Roach
    Nsync
    Linkin Park
    Pink
    Stanford Mendicants
    Weird Al
    Will Smith

...i know people bash some of the artists on my list, but i dont care. i dont really care for the artists, and i dont really care what you think about what i like, ...so blah blah.
  7. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

I listen to largely hard rock and stuff that teeters on the edge of metal. I also like lighter stuff, but I enjoy the harder stuff more usually.. Nothing brain damagingly loud, but something with some edge.

Some ones that pop into mind:

Metallica
    Alice in Chains
    Creed
    Ozzy Osbourne
    + Live +
    System of a Down
    Godsmack
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Staind
    Soundgarden

It isn't really fair to say these are my favorite bands.. But what pops in my mind when I think of things I like. I listen to anything from 3 Doors Down to White Zombie. Lately I've been finding myself listening to System of a Down, Chris Cornell, Danzig, Tool and Incubus.
  8. SNGX1275

Actually I do have a few Pink songs, something about her stuff or her interests me.

Thats kind of what I was wanting to say but didn't really, I realize different people have different tastes, for me it varies somewhat. But like I said before I don't hold it against anyone who likes something I don't, its all a personal taste.
  9. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,327

Give me a good film Soundtrack & I'll be happy. Guess the stand out stuff I have at the moment being;
    Rambo 2: Expanded score
    Hannibal
    The Perfect Storm
    The Mummy
    Gladiator
    Total Recall
    well I could go on a while. I pretty much gave up on most regular music back in 2nd or 3rd year of college. The only lyrical stuff I'd really don't mind listening too would be Garbage
  10. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Modern Rock!!! Eversince i got a newer PC with more diskspace, most of my mp3s are rock. Honestly, i think i have turned 90% anti-pop genre.
  11. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Massive Attack
    Cake
    Rage against the machine
    Beastie Boys
    Lenny Kravitz
    David Holmes
    Kruder Dorfmeister
    Portishead
    Avalanches
    Belle & Sebastian (Boy with the arab strap) - Dunno if this made it to the states ;)
    Kylie
    Neil Young
    D'Angelo
    B.B. King
    Marvin Gaye

Not really a genre. Couldn't classify it, and I am sure most of you are the same....

12. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Usually, I listen to black metal, techno or classical. They don't have much in common ;) .
    Some of my favorites are:
    Emperor
    Marduk
    MZ.412
    Bl├╝mchen
    The Chemical Brothers
    Beethoven
    Tchaikovsky
    etc.
  13. ToRN

ToRN Newcomer, in training Posts: 189

I listen to mainly electronical music.

Drumm and bass, Elektro and what I like do define as 'intelligent electronic (dance) music'

Artists: Ed Rush, Optical, Pansonic, Erik Truffaz, Rascal & Klone, Dom+Roland, Aphex Twin, Andy C, Shimon, Talvin Singh, Teebee, Bad Company, ...
  14. Gandalf

Gandalf Newcomer, in training

I mainly listen to Black Metal, but I do enjoy some industrial, gothic, new wave and the likes as well :).
  15. Elcarion

Elcarion TechSpot Paladin Posts: 188

I like a little of everything. My favorite types of music are: Rock, Blues, Jazz, and Country. A good 50% of the music I own is Rock of some kind or another. I don't care much for soft jazz. Other types of music that I listen to include: Swing, Big Band, Tropical, Folk, Bluegrass, Dance, R&B, Top 40, Classical, Opera, Rap, and Oldies. It all depends on what I feel like listening to at the time.

BTW: The song stuck in my head the past two days is Soap by David Gates. Probably because I was trying to learn it on guitar.
  16. Whack0

Whack0 Newcomer, in training Posts: 169

most of you (if not all) seem to like rock....

nobody's into rap/ hiphop? is that genre dying or somethin?

that used ta be my fave genre a long time ago, but i dont listen to it much anymore... the only rappin dude i hav in my mp3 list is eminem...
  17. Vehementi

My list of bands I listen to: Thrice (favorite), Finch, Senses Fail, Brand New, Something Corporate, Taking Back Sunday, and Yellowcard.

Honorable mentions (bands I like, but maybe not all their songs...) go to RATM, The Butterfly Effect, The Early November, A Perfect Circle, Tool, Paul Oakenfold, Orgy, Million Dead (Charlie and the Propaganda Myth :)), Lostprophets, Evanescence, Alien Ant Farm, and Acceptance.

Don't listen to my earlier post. It lies.
  18. negroplasty

negroplasty TechSpot Maniac Posts: 535   +12

I like metal/rock and things along those lines:

System of a Down
    Rage Against The Machine
    Incubus
    CKY
    Funeral For a Friend
    Finch
    Sinch
    InMe
    Metallica
    Hendrix ... and the list goes on ;)

BTW, It is nice to see a few SOAD fans around here, really is a great band :D .

19. young&wild

young&wild TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,268

Modern Rock probably and no pop for me.
    Bands i enjoy listening to:

Rage Against the Machine
    System of A Down
    Incubus
    Chevelle
    Trapt
    Disturbed
    A Perfect Circle
    Coldplay

Just to name a few...
  20. erickdj

erickdj Newcomer, in training Posts: 73

I think it's been proven that the genere of choice among us computer lovers is rock. I didn't get into rock up until I was about 18 years old, just around the same time I got serious into computers. I started slowly with the soft stuff until I got into the "harder" rock.(not too hard though).
    Some of my favorite bands:

Metallica
    System of a Down
    Disturbed.
    Adema
    Static X.
    Drowning Pool
    Staind.
    Creed
    Linkin Park.
    Mana (just like Julio, I'm latin so I gotta have my Latin rock fix.)
    Jaguares
    Laura Pausini
    Franco Devita
    and the list goes on....
  21. lowman

lowman Newcomer, in training Posts: 446

Being a musician, I like tons of stuff (Metal, Classical, Classic Rock), but I will always be a die hard Metal fan...some of my fav's:

Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, In Flames, Opeth, Meshuggah, Soilwork, Nevermore, Nile, TOOL, Godsmack, Pantera, Black Sabbath, Superjoint Ritual...the list just goes on and on...

Others: Stevie Ray Vaughn, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Creedence, Beethoven, Bach (he OWNS), Eagles, Jethro Tull, Hendrix, Jeff Beck, Cream...

You get the point...

METAL RULES
  22. StormBringer

StormBringer Newcomer, in training Posts: 2,871

I like a bit of everything. Don't care for country or rap/hip-hop, although I have found songs in those categories that I've liked in the past.
    My favorite stuff is Guitar rock and stuff with outstanding basslines(bass guitar, not synth junk)

A few of my favorite guitarists being :
    Joe Satriani
    Steve Vai
    Jimi Hendrix
    Jeff Beck
    Eddie Van Halen(old stuff)
    Marty Freidman
    Stevie Ray Vaughn
    Zakk Wylde
    Randy Rhodes
    you get the idea...

Bassists:
    Cliff Burton
    Billy Shehan
    Les Claypool
    Dave Ellefson
    Michael Balzary(Flea)
    Stewart Hamm
    Tim Commerford(or whatever his name ended up being)
    This list also trails on for a while...
  23. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

No real heavy stuff for me. Typical old guy stuff.

Eric Clapton
    Eros Ramazzati
    Soraya
    Dire Straits
    Toni Childs
    Phil Collins
    Bruce Cockburn
    Dave Matthews
    Cusco
    Pink Floyd
    Fore Play
    Jonny Lang
    Keb Mo
  24. Vehementi

One I forgot to mention.
  25. SNGX1275

I have significantly trimmed what I still listen to, I lost a few friends to graduation that were on street teams for bands and regulars to sites like http://www.theprp.com/ and radio around here is pretty lame. So I'm down to really only liking these on a regular basis:
    Sublime
    Rage Against the Machine
    Deftones
    HedPE
    Nirvana
    System of a Down

And these I like less now than in the past, but still good in moderation:
    Cake
    Portishead
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Taproot
    The Urge
    Tool

I think that bottom list could be expanded some, but I got tired of thinking, and maybe the top list could be expanded by 1 or 2.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.