TechSpot

FBI withdraws NSL after Microsoft challenged federal agency's gag order in court

1. Microsoft yesterday disclosed that it successfully challenged an FBI National Security Letter asking for data from one of the company's Office 365 enterprise customers. The letter, which hadn't been approved by any court, was issued last year with a nondisclosure provision...

Read more

2. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +314

"Office 365 Enterprise Customer"

This is why the cloud will never be a full replacement for physical servers for everyone, because some people like privacy. I hope Microsoft notify the customer that they have had a request to hand over data about them.

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,094   +1,521

Just one case out of the thousands of request? Sounds like just enough for a PR campaign, then business as usual.

On second thought, I wonder about the relationship between this one person and MS. Was this MS protecting one of their own, and then suggesting they were fighting for everyone?

BlueDrake likes this.
  4. Yeah... and we don't even have to mention that the customer is actually an alien from mars that's been plotting with bill to conker earth and makes us all slaves and that the FBI is backing another alien species for the same thing, either way I don't use office 365.

5. VitalyT

VitalyT TS Evangelist Posts: 1,924   +567

6. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,509   +314

"While it may initially seem as though the FBI backed off its request because it didn't want to duke it out with Microsoft in court, the real reason for the FBI's move was laid out in the recently released documents. The agency was able to approach Microsoft's enterprise customer directly, and as a result, the FBI got all the information it needed without dealing with Redmond head-on."

Well at least Redmond didn't actively help the FBI, they just went directly to the dude they were after, why can't they do this more often?

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.