FCC: 34 million Americans still lack access to fixed broadband connection

Shawn Knight

Staff member

It's been nearly a year since the Federal Communications Commission voted to reclassify the definition of broadband from a paltry 4Mbps down / 1Mbps up to its current definition of 25Mbps down / 3Mbps up. While that may still sound slow to some, what's really concerning is that roughly 34 million Americans still lack access to fixed broadband at that bare minimum speed.

In a draft of his 2016 Broadband Progress Report, FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler said that despite continued progress in broadband deployment, advanced telecommunications capability is not being deployed in a reasonable and timely fashion to all Americans.

Wheeler pointed to a persistent urban / rural digital divide that has left 39 percent of those living in rural areas without access to fixed broadband. To put the figure into perspective, only four percent of the urban population lacks the same access.

It's even worse for those living on tribal lands as 41 percent of residents can't obtain a fixed broadband connection. Wheeler also said that 41 percent of schools have yet to meet the FCC's short-term goal of 100Mbps per 1,000 students / staff. Schools that haven't yet reached the goal are responsible for educating 47 percent of the country's students.

On a global scale, Wheeler notes that the US ranks 16th out of 34 developed nations.

Wheeler is expected to circulate his final report to fellow commissioners at a January 28 meeting.

Permalink to story.

If the FCC simply follows up on the contractual agreement by which the TELCO's were granted their licenses and enforces the fines and penalties, there would be plenty of money, paid by the TELCO's that would put this access into every home. Don't try to break the TELCO's, simply divert all their profits until the task is complete and remind their stock holders it is their obligation to read the fine print on contracts and vote in/out those corporate officers that break the rules.

The better point to be brought up, is do I really care about the 34% of Americans who live in bum **** no where who can't get access to "broadband" connections? The answer is a quite obvious, absolutely not.

I hear and read constantly about how Sweden, South Korea, Japan etc...are all "superior" in broadband than the USA. Well, have these EXPERTS ever stopped to think that most likely the entire land area of those countries mentioned above, would FIT INSIDE perhaps ONE or TWO states in America? We are SPREAD OUT! Look at the night likes of the above countries. One giant blob of light. In the USA, you see vast areas that are black, with a tiny dot here and there. Also, look at the cell phone reception maps. Same issue. This nation is SPREAD out, otherwise we'd be living like Japan, all squashed together inside a closet, called a house.

I hear and read constantly about how Sweden, South Korea, Japan etc...are all "superior" in broadband than the USA. Well, have these EXPERTS ever stopped to think that most likely the entire land area of those countries mentioned above, would FIT INSIDE perhaps ONE or TWO states in America? We are SPREAD OUT! Look at the night likes of the above countries. One giant blob of light. In the USA, you see vast areas that are black, with a tiny dot here and there. Also, look at the cell phone reception maps. Same issue. This nation is SPREAD out, otherwise we'd be living like Japan, all squashed together inside a closet, called a house.
While I agree with you when it comes to size. I'll throw in that terrain in the US varies so much too which changes the situation area to area.

However, they have massive profit margins. TWC reported in 2013 a 97% profit margin. I heard recently Comcast had upwards of 60%+ for 2014 or 2015, but I can't find any articles for that. Point is, I'm fine with them making a profit, but if you're gonna milk this much, I expect there to be even better improvements/service/PR. That's why I usually hate stock holders that are in control.

The better point to be brought up, is do I really care about the 34% of Americans who live in bum **** no where who can't get access to "broadband" connections? The answer is a quite obvious, absolutely not.

Guessing that that conclusion applies to everything that occurs outside your city/microcosm, Certainly food is unimportant, screw the people that grow it. It is an effort to learn about unexciting things.

Back