FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler to step down on January 20, 2017 (the same day Trump takes office)

Shawn Knight

Staff member

FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler on Thursday announced intentions to resign from the agency on January 20, 2017, the very same day that Donald Trump will be sworn in as the 45th President of the United States.

Wheeler, a strong proponent of net neutrality, said in a statement that serving as FCC Chairman during this period of historic technological change has been the greatest honor of his professional life, adding that he is deeply grateful to President Obama for giving him the opportunity.

The outgoing chairman, who has led the FCC for more than three years, said it has been a privilege to work with his fellow commissioners to help protect consumers, strengthen public safety and cybersecurity and ensure fast, fair and open networks for all Americans.

Wheeler’s decision to walk away from the FCC shouldn’t be all that surprising.

As The Verge correctly highlights, it’s a long-standing tradition for the FCC boss to vacate the position when a new president is elected. Wheeler made things interesting up until now, however, by leaving open the possibility that he might stick around for a bit with Trump in office as his term technically doesn’t end until November 3, 2018.

Had Wheeler stuck around, he would have been demoted and the Democrats would have eventually lost the majority to the Republicans.

Permalink to story.

It all seems very fair and democratic to me. Or is that autocratic? I dunno, As far as politics goes, there is no difference between the two.

Good...Wheeler was a very pleasant surprise. Take your time and let the door hit you on the way out at quitting time. Don't give them one minute sooner to undo all the good things he's done for consumers.

Wheeler took a stance for net-neutrality, now that president Turd elect is in office it will slowly unravel.
He'll pass legislation to let cable companies and ISPs rape the customers. I am really sad to see Wheeler step down.

Wheeler took a stance for net-neutrality, now that president Turd elect is in office it will slowly unravel.
He'll pass legislation to let cable companies and ISPs continue to rape the customers. I am really sad to see Wheeler step down.
Fixed that for you...

And that bill will include an item that makes it legal for ISPs to make slaves of their customers.

Fixed that for you...

And that bill will include an item that continues to make it legal for ISPs to make indentured servants of their customers. And this despite the 13th Amendment to the US Constitution
Er....., and I fixed that for you...!:cool:(y)

Edit: "I believe, "indentured servants" is the politically correct terminology.

Last edited:
That sucks for you Americans the guy replacing him looks to be a corporate shill.

Which means he is going to try and undo all the changes Tom did in the last 4 years.

Very Sad!

With 61 million amuricans fawning over every decision in the first 100 days, and three years for all decisions to fade from memory.. yep, looks like an intrestin' new year sez me..

Hail Tweetler! (a REALLY bad joke, but it was there, sorry to all the twitter users that I have offended)

...[ ]...Hail Tweetler! (a REALLY bad joke, but it was there, sorry to all the twitter users that I have offended)
I say, "bravo"! Where else but Facebook can you find all that many people lined up just waiting to be offended. Show no mercy, nor give any quarter.:p

Back