TechSpot

FCC releases free broadband speed test application

By Jos
Mar 12, 2010
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Want to know if your broadband service is really as fast as advertised? Those living in the United States can use a new tool released this week by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) that will reveal information on their downlink and uplink speeds as well as on latency and jitter. The Consumer Broadband Test is currently live at broadband.gov and a mobile version is available through the Apple and Android app stores.

Read the whole story
  2. flocka

flocka Newcomer, in training Posts: 40

9.45 kbps DOWN
    3.9 kpbs UP
  3. This is a very inaccurate test. Of course coming from the FCC this is what happens when you go to the lowest bidder.
    From our blazing fast 50Mb pipe the results were:
    771K Down
    30 Mb Up

C'Mon guys. This is stupid.
  4. gwailo247

gwailo247 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,105   +18

It confirms that my download speed has essentially doubled over the last few months, but since I'm paying for the old speed I'm keeping quiet.
  5. olefarte

olefarte TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,427

I get about the same as I get with other tests. 9423 kbps down and 740 kbps up, just about what it's supposed to be.
  6. gobbybobby

gobbybobby TechSpot Maniac Posts: 543

''The American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009''. They call it ''digital Britain'' over here! I get 1.5Meg Down and 448kbps down. They want to give everyone 2Mb By 2012 and have high speed broadband to ''most'' by 2017. That sucks Y not make it 50Mb To all by the end of next year?
  7. it's scam they installing spyware on your system they logging peoples ip and location to track bittorrent users. DO NOT USE THAT SITE.
  8. Wagan8r

Wagan8r TechSpot Guru Posts: 590   +45

Huh, now I'm curious to see the numbers from my connection, but I can't say I'm thrilled to try a piece of government software.
  9. levar

levar Newcomer, in training Posts: 232

here are my results
    http://yfrog.com/1k29415963p
    and no "Guest" the site isn't installing any spyware on people's system, probably just spamming. Site is safe to use; what .gov site isn't safe to use? I'm guessing this is a part of the US trying to get broadband mainstream, it also provides a bit more and better information than speedtest does, and speedtest doesn't "collect your location information". Nice tool though thanks for sharing.
  10. gary4gar

gary4gar Newcomer, in training

Tested.Works as expected. Hopefully they generate some valuable data which would help them in making policies
  11. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 843   +11

3168 kb down 495 kb up. Yep thats about right. have a 3mb/s by .5mb/s connection at work.

12. jasonk1229

jasonk1229 Newcomer, in training Posts: 58

well see how it goes
  13. Anyone disturbed by the fact that the U.S. government is trying to see what everyone is getting for internet speed. I don't even like private industry to snoop around. I hope this trend of the big nanny state stops.
  14. pipopaz

pipopaz Newcomer, in training Posts: 70

Just a reminder that it says Beta, it might explain inaccuracies. Now regarding FCC involvement, I hope it doesn't end up costing us, the users later on.
  15. i have 50mb down and 5 mb upload connection and my local ips speed test site shows that for speed as well as other sites. but this fcc site only giving me download of 17mb and 2mb upload come on the fcc should useing a oc-192 connection for there main systems i pay taxes for what again.
  16. rskapadia2294

rskapadia2294 Newcomer, in training Posts: 102

i think its a good move! so that Internet suppliers don't cheat their customers!
    but FCC should first check its own system!
  17. Oh, yeah. I'm just dying to download a piece of software from the U.S. government and install it on my computer. We all trust the U.S. government...right?
  18. Thompson

Thompson Newcomer, in training Posts: 65

At least a government agency is actually trying to do something positive to the internet in it's country, anyone ever heard of a little island called Australia?

Down here our government is wildly flailing it's arms around like an epileptic cockroach trying to figure out how best to **** up the internet as badly as possible, if you live in a big city you're in luck as you'll have something at least equivalent to the sort of internet connection available to an impoverished Japanese man and if you live in the country then, as proved by an ABC television show 'Hungry Beast' it's faster to send a carrier pigeon with a USB stick than to transfer a file.
  19. Serag

Serag TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 179

Interesting idea of the application..wish we had an organization as powerful as FCC here in my country...
  20. Yoda8232

Yoda8232 Newcomer, in training Posts: 145

Takes too long, but it works.
    speedtest.net is my favorite because you can pick the closest server nearest to you worldwide.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.