TechSpot

FCC seeks your help in testing mobile broadband speeds with Android app

1. Are you getting the mobile broadband speed you are paying for? The Federal Communications Commission is planning to launch a new smartphone application called "FCC speed test" for users to test precisely that. The application will allow users to run...

Read more

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,150   +1,533

In other words they are seeking help from those who have faster connections, so they can ignore how piss poor the real world connections are.

3. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,133   +731

Cool idea, and a great way to collect the data. I hope they can get the word out so people try out the app. And I hope people don't mind using some of their data plan to check their speeds.

I wonder how much people will care though. we don't 'pay for a speed' you pay for a connection. whatever speed you get is what you get. Only cable has tiered pricing that I know of. I've never seen a pricing plan on a carrier based on speeds. So we may end up learning that say, Verizon is fastest and Sprint crawls, but nothing is real 4G 100Mpbs anyway. And it's not like there are people paying for 15Mbps who are getting 5.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.