Fed up

Status
Not open for further replies.

s3xynanigoat

I have a 3800+ in a A8N 32-SLI Deluxe board and it is powered by Liberty 620W PSU sitting inside of it's Thermaltake Tai-Chi case. Electrical surges have downed this machine twice now. The first time it took out the PSU which was easily replaced, this second time though....

At first I believed it was only the PSU and video card that got nailed this second time around, so I replaced both. After getting the video card installed I powered the thing on and found that windows was corrupt. No biggie - reinstall windows. Done. Windows installed and wanted a reboot of the machine so I did just that, and rebooted. Upon reboot the machine would get to the Windows logo and then reboot. No problem I thought - yank on this, tug on that, it shouldn't be an issue. Now I've really done nothing to this machine out of the ordinary to make it not work but I am now in a position where I have a machine that, as you guessed, does not work.

Here are my symptoms currently -

Step 1: Push the power button
Step 2: LED/Fans come on
Step 3: Wait
Step 4: Wait
Step 5: Wait
Step 6: Still nothing on the monitor
Step 7: Repeat steps 1-6

I'm at a loss here, I get no video on the screen and I get no beeps from the mobo during post; If it's even posting. Here is a short list of things I tried, each one leaving me where I was.

Thing 1: Known working PSU
Thing 2: Remove all RAM and then boot
Thing 3: Try a new video card
Thing 4: Smash face against keyboard
Thing 5: Check for blown or bulged caps

Is anyone familiar with these symptoms? I was thinking it's either the Mobo is dead or there is a grounding issue on the mobo. One of my two LAN connections link lights stays on constantly since this last surge so I can kind of tell there is a mobo issue based on that. I'm pretty technically inclined buyt very lazy and I didn't want to yank the mobo without asking around first. Thoughts? Anyone??

Did you clear the CMOS using the jumper and battery removal.

Take your time don't get upset...

Make sure the CPU is in there by press down on it.
Make sure all the RAM is tight.

What I would do it connect one stick for ram and the main HDD and see if you can get pass your problem. Something is not right. Reset the BIOS to defaults, Clear the CMOS and try it again..

I have not tried to clear the CMOS yet - the whole thing is strange to me because it worked for a few minutes until after Windows was reloaded.

@tipstir - I will clear the CMOS and reset the BIOS via jumpers tonight when i get home.

A side note - The monitor clicks on with my cpu power but I'm getting no feed to it. I also do not hear the HD's spinning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back