Fedora 7 Boot DVD not working

By Tom Mask
Jul 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey all.

Ok, So i've been working on trying to install Fedora since summer started, but I've had troubles. I just got around to fixing my DVD burner and making the DVD boot disk (i386). Whenever I boot from the DVD though, it takes a second to react; the the word GRUB appears on the screen, and that's it... Nothing happens after... The DVD reader doesn't spin, and i can't type anything to the screen. Is this normal? Its almost as if my computer is frozen...

Someone please help! As a tech enthusiast / programmer I feel it as my duty to learn Linux! Could the .iso image be corrupted? I never got the sha1SUM program to finish checking it...

Thoughts? I"m at wits end with this thing...

Oh! sorry, almost forgot:
    Dell Desktop computer, 2004: Intel Pentium 4 processor (2.8Ghz)
    Three HDD: 20 GB laptop (back up files), 80 GB Windows XP, 80 GB Old linux (Friend gave it to me, to be used for Fedora 7 core)
    DVD super-multi: producer - LG

Heeeeeelpppp!! T____________T;
  2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

That sounds like a bad disc image - especially if you couldn't finish checking it. Why not?
  3. Tom Mask

Tom Mask Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 66

So I should just try re-downloading the DVD image?
  4. captaincranky

captaincranky TechSpot Addict Posts: 10,392   +830

Sha 1, here I come.....

Well why the heck not? All you need is the freeware version of this: http://www.accuhash.com/index.html (The pro version will write Sha1sum, you just need the reader)
  5. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 Newcomer, in training Posts: 6,504

I think if the .iso was corrupted, then the CD writing software would not have written it at all.

However, I do suggest a faulty disk. Try writing it again.
  6. hynesy

hynesy TechSpot Maniac Posts: 445

sounds just like a bios setup not set to read DVD's because it goes to grub when it doesn't know what OS to load.
    cheers
    Hynesy
  7. Tom Mask

its a bios problem? hmm....*checks*

In other news, I have a new Vista laptop (horrible) but I want to try and partition the 160 GB drive to put Linux there too. Would that be possible if I already got everything installed on the vista side?

Thanx alot hynesy :3
  8. hynesy

9. Tom Mask

Aaaahhh, that was all i needed :33 I'm going to try and install linux on my laptop as well.

Oh, I figured that it was the .iso image, so i'm going to re-download and try again :) thanks everyone!
  10. hynesy

Good luck Tom ;)
    Cheers
    Hynesy :wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.