TechSpot

Fedora 7 - Wireless problem...HELP :)

By HitmanAngel2k3
Jul 30, 2007
  1. Well Windows crashed on my Dell and Dell's customer service was no help either, so after extracting much needed information from my laptop with Knoppix, I installed Fedora 7 on it and getting into Linux now :)

My laptop is Dell Inspirton 1150 with BCM4306 wireless card, I'm trying to set up wireless connection on it, no luck so far, read numerous forums/posts and still nothing...can someone maybe show me, guide me on how to set up wireless connection on this laptop. When I hook up a direct wire from my router to my laptop, it works fine, connection is there, but no wireless :(

THank you for your help in advance

-Al.

2. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

Broadcom wireless + Linux = fail.

However, the recent kernels (I can't remember the first version) have some kind of support for BCM43xx, so I guess you'd have to either insert the appropriate modules into the kernel that 7 has (after updating it), or compile it yourself.

I use iwconfig in terminal and/or KDE's wireless control panel (in control center) myself when I have to use wireless networks.

3. HitmanAngel2k3

HitmanAngel2k3 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 107

I've been trying to activate it, but iwconfig doesn't really work for some reason, and i downloaded and installed nswrapper or something like that, and i tried to download broadcom driver and it says to unzip it but it keeps saying "permission denied" and I'm in administrator mode, i.e. su, and it still keeps doing that :(

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.