FFS!!!! conroe + s3

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was putting a conroe onto a gigabyte s3 today and was wondering if anyone else with an s3 had a hard time fitting their conroe and fan on. i mean i had to use quite a bit of pressure to close the socket. everything was lined up perfectly im pretty sure but still i think it required a bit too much force. someone please tell me that you had the same experience to put my mind at ease, i dont have all my parts yet so cant test anything.

I've noticed with pretty much all LGA775 sockets that the amount of pressure you have to put down on the spring feels uncomfortable.

However, if it's to the point where it feels like your fingers are hurting or the board itself is under strain, it's likely that the part of the socket that falls down over the CPU is misaligned a tiny bit. Back it off a bit, and try shoving it around to the left or right of the CPU. I've found sometimes if it is even half a milimeter off, it'll block the lever so much that the board can snap in half before you can latch the CPU in place.

installing CPUs can be tricky. If you can remove the thermal tape and use thermal grease instead, I would recommend that. (if necessary.) Lock one side of the fan and apply gentle, steady pressure with a screwdriver on the opposite side with the tip in the fan lock socket. Just ease it in. It can be a pain, but don't force it.

Soul Harvester said:
I've found sometimes if it is even half a milimeter off, it'll block the lever so much that the board can snap in half before you can latch the CPU in place.

this is good to know lol

thanks guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back