File checking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnock

I would greatly appreciate some help, I am having problems shutting down my computer at the end of the day, it just freezing at the saving stage, sometimes when I unplug my modem it will shut down.

The problem is being caused by TSR (terminate and stay resident) program.
Do ctrl-alt-del and go check the applications list. empty it. Power off. If the stalled shut down is cleared it is one of the files you stopped. If you have something like winfax that controls the modem, chances are that this is what is causing the problem.
If this list does not contain the problem, go Start > run > msconfig > OK
open the startup tab and select disable all. Click OK and restart. Now power off again. If this cures it, the problem is with one of the files the system loads at boot. Go back into the msconfig page and enable each in turn and restart. I know it takes time but it is probably the easiest way of finding out.

A variation of the previously recommended help:

Prepare your system for shutdown> Close all open Windows> but do not shut down. Right click on the Taskbar> Task Manager> Process tab> look for any processes using over 1-2 in the CPU column, except for System, System Idle and taskmgr. Identify this process- databases to help with this are below:

STARTUP APPLICATION DATABASE LIST
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://startup.iamnotageek.com/ http://www.pcpitstop.com/spycheck/SWDetail.asp?fn=gah95on6.exe

Once identified: Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> Selective Start-up> Startup tab> find this process> click to UNCHECK> Apply> OK

A nag message will come up> click on 'don't show this message again'> close on the X.

Reboot the computer. Try the shutdown. If it works, then you have stopped the process that is hanging from starting up and running in the background.
(Edit to remove duplicate entry)

You need to have a read of this - If your system is infected. Read this before deciding whether to CLEAN or REFORMAT.

Then if you should wish to proceed with cleaning your system you need to go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and AVG Antispyware logs as ATTACHMENTS into this thread, only after doing the above.

This thread is for the use of Magnock only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Thank you all for the prompt input, it is going to take a while to go through what has been suggested, I will post again when it will shut down normally. This has been going on for months, but I haven't got round to doing anything about it. I have this week had to remove one of the memory modules as it had become corrupted, not sure whether this is because it never closes down properly. To shut of the computer down I have just been pulling the modem usb plug.

>pulling the plug

very good! The system is hung on an outstanding network action and has not
gotten a reply.

try this:
disconnect from the network
disable Print/File sharing and reboot
when it's running again, reenable Print/File sharing and reboot again​
now you can reconnect to the network and it should both boot and shutdown
much better.
MS documents this (forget the refernce just now) in a KB article

Thanks everyone for the replies. I tried all the suggested above and it seems to be something to do with the network, I have disabled everything related as I don't have my machine running on a network, at the moment things are working fine and shutdown is okay. But watch this space it may not be cured.

You didn't find any process consuming more than 1-2 on CPU other than System, system Idle or taskmgr when you were ready to shutdown?

Bobbye said:
You didn't find any process consuming more than 1-2 on CPU other than System, system Idle or taskmgr when you were ready to shutdown?

Bobbye, all that was running was system idle at 97% everything else was zeros. The machine is still shutting down normally so hopefully thats all it was. I don't like shutting down by pulling the plug, there is always the chance it hasn't saved everything to disk for future restores if needed.

To find out what the problem was, all you have to do is NOT unplug the USB and see what is still running in the task manager.

Magnock, there is still 3% of the CPU unaccounted for. This should be in System and taskmgr.

Now that you know where to check, if it happens again, go directly to the Task Manager.

AlbertLionheart, I can't get into task manager, the hang up is at the blue screen and saving setting, nothing works not even the keyboard.

Bobbyeye, I have checked the items you suggest and they are blank. Nothing running.

Then something is very wrong! There is something hanging the system and it's not showing in the Task Manager! Did you try tight click on the Taskbar> Task Manager?

But, Magnock, you're feed us a little information at a time. Original post didn't mention corrupt memory module , now you say the hang up is at the blue screen and saving setting, nothing works not even the keyboard.

There is another place to check, the Event Viewer- from what you're saying now, I don't know if you can even access it!
Follow this path:
Control Panel Administrative Tools> Event Viewer> Click on System & Apps, one at a time on the left> look for Errors on the right> right click error> Properties> note description of error, Event# and Source.

There is a "copy" button below the up/down arrows. Click that, then go to any place that allows you to type (ie. notepad, wordpad, this board) and you can paste (use CTRL-V) the entire event details there. It makes for easy reporting of the event.

Or you can use these sites:
http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
http://www.monitorware.com/en/events/

If you post the copies to this board, you don't need to include all the lines of code that follow the Description. This can be accessed in Safe Mode if needed.

It has started hanging again at the save windows setting.
I have up-loaded a capture of the only error I am getting under system events.

Attachments

• 2007-09-18_151147.jpg
    2007-09-18_151147.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 7
J.O.Beard, Thanks. I will have a closer look at that as I use zoombrowser all the time, I will uninstall it and see if it cures the problem.

Thank you for the Event information:
stisvc.exe is an executable which is installed by Windows together with digital cameras, scanners or another graphical input devices. Hardware device drivers use this service.

If you do not have this type of device installed, you can stop the Service or change it to Manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back