file corruption & keyboard problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Can anyone help me? I was downloading mp3 sound clips when I got the message that a file was corrupted, now whenever i type, i alw+ays get random + signs. example

w++++++++++++++++ord

Please help

have you checked its not your keyboard going dodgy on you?

but otherwise.. follow Spike's link...

Good point. oops! - Spike

Hi, I have tried everything mentioned in spikes post. I+ scanned w+ith AVG and Ad aw+are se in safe mode, I+ also system restored and everything. Please! I+ need help.

I think this is a joke lol. If you were using Limewire a corrupt file doesn't mean virus or spyware it means the file wasnt configured correctly or all of it wasn't there..

Besides it doesn't seem possible that it would be a "bug" causing those "+"s. Being as the "bug" would be set to insert the "+"s at a certain interval of time. Like every # seconds. But in your first post you have them spread out through the first paragraph and then a long line of them at the end.

Not to accuse you of messing with us or anything i have just never seen or heard of someone getting +s inserted onto their screen.

Trust me, this is no joke. W+ould this be a hijacker of sorts? And I+ recently purchased Mcafee I+nternet security suite, do you guys think it w+ould get rid of this? I+ noticed it usually comes after W and I and w+ill go on a really long line unless you hit backspace q+uickly. I+ am not so computer savvy and any help w+ould be great.

Right, two things here. First, mister monopoly obviously missed out on the fun you can have on a LAN with some imaginative michief. Theres all manner of things you can make windows do, from making the mouse leave little black... spots on the screen, to making the laser drive pop in and out at random intervals while the soundcard outputs crude noises. Trust me here, I didn't miss out.
Second thing, if you haven't already you should listen to Spike. I've noticed he has a good record when it comes to solutions here and not that I take offence at it, but I notice you've not responded to my advice either.

Lekki_Sheep said:
I've noticed he has a good record when it comes to solutions here and not that I take offence at it, but I notice you've not responded to my advice either.

Thankyou :) much obliged, and flattered that you'd notice. lol

WinDoWsMoNoPoLy said:
I think this is a joke lol. If you were using Limewire a corrupt file doesn't mean virus or spyware it means the file wasnt configured correctly or all of it wasn't there.

That's not why it's here. The thread is here because he was using limewire and is clearly an inexperienced user. Search the forums for limewire. Also, he appears to have a problem after double clicking an executable file (a fake mp3). Combined with the earlier comment, logic dictates the first thing that should be checked - spyware, malware, and virii. Besides, it's a process of elimination sometimes.

Please desist from using such a disruptive tone. Your comment is valid, but nobody cares about "I think this is a joke lol". It's unnessecary and offensive.

boneclinkzer said:
Hi, I have tried everything mentioned in spikes post. I+ scanned w+ith AVG and Ad aw+are se in safe mode, I+ also system restored and everything. Please! I+ need help.

Trust me, this is no joke. W+ould this be a hijacker of sorts? And I+ recently purchased Mcafee I+nternet security suite, do you guys think it w+ould get rid of this? I+ noticed it usually comes after W and I and w+ill go on a really long line unless you hit backspace q+uickly. I+ am not so computer savvy and any help w+ould be great.

Yes, it could possibly be a virus or a piece of adware, spyware or the likes. It could also be a dodgy keyboard or a sticky key. Mcaffee Internet Security Suite is awful, On the list of the worst (genuine) AV's, Norton is number 1, and Mcafee is number 2.

I've told you what to do already - follow the instructions in the link I gave. I can tell from your language alone that you didn't do so, and if you did you certainly didn't follow even half of it. I also know because if you had followed them, you'd have posted a HJT log as a text attachment, and when you post your HJT log, we'll know if you've followed the instructions through what appears in it.

Follow the instructions, post the log, and I shall see if I can help you.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

boneclinkzer said:

Which bit of these instructions HERE don`t you understand?

Unless you follow them and post a HJT log as an attachment, how are we supposed to help you?

Of course, it may turn out that your problems are not caused by viruses/malware etc, but I wouldn`t bet on it just yet.

Now, go and follow the instructions, and post a HJT log. Then at least we`d know if your system is clean, or not.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

+hijack this

Hi,

I did everything and more, scanned with kaspersky and trend micro, scanned with ad aware, AVG and avast. Downloaded the removal of mali+cous software f+rom microsoft. Did not pick up anything

Did the smithfraudfix and stuff.

Downloaded the thing from tomcayote and ran a scan.

I posted mt log as a *txt

Please help me.

Regards

Boneclinkzer

In add/remove programs, do you have a MyWebSearch entry? if so, uninstall it. Other than that, your HJT log is clean.

Boot into safe mode. See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial61.html

Turn off system restore.(XP/ME only) See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial56.html

In Windows Explorer, turn on "Show all files and folders, including hidden and system". See how HERE. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/tutorial62.html

Go to add remove programmes in your control panel and uninstall anything to do with(if there).

MyWebSearch

Close control panel

Click start/run and type regsvr32 /u C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\b.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL into the runbox and press the enter key.

Do that for this entry as well.

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\b.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

Run HJT with no other programmes open. Have HJT fix the following, by placing a tick in the little box next to(if there).

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00A6FAF6-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\b.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - {00A6FAF1-072E-44cf-8957-5838F569A31D} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\b.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

O2 - BHO: mwsBar BHO - {07B18EA1-A523-4961-B6BB-170DE4475CCA} - C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\b.bin\MWSBAR.DLL

O8 - Extra context menu item: &Search - http://edits.mywebsearch.com/toolbaredits/menusearch.jhtml?p=ZHYYYYYYYYPH

Click on the fix checked button.

Close HJT.

Locate and delete the following bold files(if there).

C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\bar\b.bin\MWSBAR.DLL
C:\Program Files\MyWebSearch\SrchAstt\b.bin\MWSSRCAS.DLL

Reboot into normal mode and turn system restore back on.

Regards Howard :)

Have you tried using a different keyboard? Is it PS/2 or USB. Could be the PS/2 controller if you're still having problems using a different keyboard. Try using a USB board to eliminate the possibility. I often find that you'll try a thousand fixes and realise that you should have done something numbingly simple. At least, I used to, nowadays, the first thing I check is the wiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back