TechSpot

file is missing or corrupt: \sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe.

By Barbeyd
May 9, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello,

I had a problem with a virus so I reinstalled win XP Pro. Then before installing or running any programs I ran AVG Virus software and remove the virus. Then installed the basic peripheral software and everything was working great.
    I shut down the PC and remove the ATI 7500 Video card to look for the SN#.
    Next I replaced the video card and booted the PC.
    That’s when I got this error – Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\sestem32\ntoskrnl.exe.
    Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Using a readntfs boot disk I got to the A: prompt. When I tried to go to the C: drive from the A: prompt I got this message: Drive C: not responding out of internal memory. I tried using the six floppy disk windows XP setup but it would always stop (freeze) on the third or forth floppy disk.

I tried one more time to get to the C: drive from the A: prompt, got the same message: Drive C: not responding out of internal memory.
    So I thought to try and see if the D: drive is there and got the same message D: drive not responding out of internal memory.

So if the C: prompt is not responding I can’t copy the missing ntoskrnl.exe to the C: drive

20 gb Maxtor alone on the IDE 1 slot for the OS.
    Drive D: is on the IDE 2 slot
    And I have two other drives on PCI IDE card

I hope this is enough and not too much, thanks.
  2. mosaddique

mosaddique TS Rookie

I have had this happen to me (I think it was after defrag).

I booted up with the XP CD into recovery mode and then ran chkdsk /r
    It appeared to solve my problem though I am not sure what happened and why this fixed it.

It is worth a try.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.