File page file says 0 mb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fog

Paging file size says 0 mb ?

hi all , I am having a lot of trouble trying to set my file page size on XP pro - I am using 512 ram - have tried setting custom size from 756mb - 2000mb - seems to set Ok but when i reboot still says 0 mb - anyone got any clues??
cheers

Do you mean setting memory ?

I was told by a Technision that the minimum is 1.5 x your ram
512 x 1.5 = 768
Max should be 768 x 2 = 1536
Are you haveing a problem typeing in these settings ?
Set Performance to Custom.

hi Zipperman - thanks for get back to me - no it seems to set the values ok on the c drive but when i reboot ' the total paging size ' is still saying 0 mb ?

sorry - yeah getting virtual memory error on boot up - version is Xp Pro version 2002 - I was using 768 - 2000 , just installed it on a new Pc - was running fine then just stuffed up? tried taking most applications off and am just running basic apps - still doing it?

My settings

I have 2 gb of ram.This is my settings (Custom)
If your in the same place I can't add much more.
My Daughter has the same problem,so I told her to set it to
Let Windows manage my memory.Use the Program option.

Attachments

• Virtual Memory2.jpg
    Virtual Memory2.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 10
tell us more about your set up.

Multiple hard drives?

Do you by chance have your pagefile set up on multiple partitions?

hit ctrl alt del to bring up your task manager and look what it says under performance tab bottom left under commit charge

Hi - just one drive partitioned - heres the screen shot hope fully not to sure how to attached this - cheers

heres my screen shot of the problem

Attachments

• screen shot 2.JPG
    screen shot 2.JPG
    82.7 KB · Views: 14
you may need to set your system to show/reveal system files, as it may be
hidden. find your pagefile.sys and make sure file isn't hidden

also what does it say when you set to system managed size.

The other thing to check is that your partition where you pagefile is, is larger than the maximum size you are trying to make your pagefile

Have you done a disk check to make sure there isn't a problem on the HDD? In explorer, with "FolderView" on, right click on the "C:" drive, and then "Properties". On the "Tools" tab, click on "CheckNow" under "Error Checking" and then tick the "Automatically fix file system errors" box, then "start" - it will complain about open files, and ask if you want to schedule a check on reboot - click on "Yes" and reboot. You should get an error report, which you can check in "Event Viewer" form "Control Panel"-"Administrative Tools" in the application log.

The other thing to check using a similar technique to view C: properties is that write permissions to the root haven't been switched off.

Use quote

Blind Dragon said:
tell us more about your set up.

Multiple hard drives?

Do you by chance have your pagefile set up on multiple partitions?

hit ctrl alt del to bring up your task manager and look what it says under performance tab bottom left under commit charge

Who are you asking this to ?
Mine is On default C: drive,to control the OS.
It can only be on 1.
As my SShot indicates,not on partitions.
Commit says,
Total = 312756
Limit = 5085304
Peak = 360380

Checked the HD all looks ok to me - but heres a shot of the event viewer - having a hard time finding the pag file .sys ? and where to find the root is switched off - sorry guys - bit of a newb at this stuff hey !

hi Zipper - I did some hunting on the web and did come across a forum where a guy was saying you can have the pagefile .sys on another partition - tried this - no good !

Attachments

• event viewer of HD scan.JPG
    event viewer of HD scan.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 9
not to sure what you mean by - There's a \ between Control and Session Manager ?? sorry mate - did try setting both to 1536 and 2048 - no go ! - the link refers to Windows 2000 is this the case with XP as well ? thanks Peter

this is starting to get to me - been up most of the night - more coffee needed

This is a registry fix, and it's the same for XP. You need to see if you have that setting in the registry. Click Start then Run and type in regedit then click ok.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management and see if you have a setting for PagingFiles in the right-hand pane.

Yeah peter there a setting there - heres what it says

sorry guys but I got catch a few wiinks - this virtual memory has got me going virtually nuts !!! thanks for your help all - I will get back onto it in a few hrs - cheers

Attachments

• page file setting.JPG
    page file setting.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 13
no good

fog said:
hi Zipper - I did some hunting on the web and did come across a forum where a guy was saying you can have the pagefile .sys on another partition - tried this - no good !

What do you mean by no good ?
I just read Windows help and Support )(pagefile)
and moved mine to my E partition.
Quote :Try to avoid having a pagefile on the same drive as the system files.
But tell me What size is your hard drive and how much
space is remaining ? You need at least 20 % on the OS partition.The event viewer wont deal with this.
*** Finding Pagefile.sys won't help with the problem but i can't find a file
named Pagefile.sys either.But my memory settings did what i wanted.
Real good.:)

well blow me down - I have solved this delema - went back to a restore point 6 hrs back - the memory came back fine - checked after I added every app - found that a plugin for app was setting this problem off - not using this plugin now - all fixed and running fine - whewey !! thanks all for you assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back