TechSpot

File Sharing Access Denied - Win XP Home between Win XP Pro

By pompa909
Aug 21, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I am trying to setup file sharing with two computers. The one has Win XP Home Edition and the other has Win XP Pro... I can access the Win XP Pro from the Home Edition but when I try from the Pro Pc I get an Access Denied. I have tried a few things with adding another user on the Home PC with the same username and password, I have tried to use a permissions software and set everyone on the Home PC. Please can you help me as I need files sharing for a program on the Pro Pc that needs access to a folder on the Home PC.

Please, Please Help....

Thanks in advance...

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,426   +317

On each system:

View Entire Network and dbl-click MS Windows Network
    you should see either MSHOME or WORKGROUP; which ever, dlb-click on it

BOTH system names should appear​
    If both systems see both names, then the workgroup name (on each) is correct.
    If not, make both systems use the same workgroup name: same 'word' and same
    upper/lower case too!

The XP/Home ONLY supports Simple File sharing, so the XP/Pro will need to use
    that option also!

Both firewalls need to enable Print/File Sharing.

Both systems need one folder Shared at least R/O.

3. pompa909

pompa909 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks for the reply but I have done all this I can see the XP/Home PC and have shared a file but from my XP/Pro PC I get access denied but works the other way around. Please I am going crazy...

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.