File sharing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

chow1012

I am running 2 XPs at home, a desktop connected to a wireless router through a cable and a notebook connected to it with a built-in wireless adaptor. I wanted to share files between the 2. However, when I tried to share out a folder in my notebook, I got an error message 'Server services not started'.
I was able to ping the desktop from the notebook but not the other way round.
What could be the problem?

Firewalls

Are you running a firewall on either of the computers?

Could be something like ZoneAlarm or XP's built in.

That could explain not being able to ping.

As for the service not starting, make sure you have the File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks installed on both. This is under the network properties.

Are you running Pro or Home XP , there are some differences to configure networking.
However you will need the workgroup name to be the same on those machines and 1 common user/same password

I am running XP Home. I have set both machines to have the same workgroup name. What do you mean by '1 common user'?

Do your sign on to one computer with user1 and the other with User2 ?

Or do you use the same username for both?

I don't need to sign on at my desktop and there is just one user with my notebook.
By the way, after I stopped all the zonealarms and norton, I was able to ping both ways. I am still getting that 'Server Service not started' when I wanted to share out a folder at my notebook.

You don't have to shut down Zonealarm to get the two to talk. It just needs to be set up correctly.

Here is the step for it...

Step 17(optional if you have a network in your house) - If you have a network in your house and you share files and/or printers, you will need to configure a Trusted Zone for the rest of the computers in your house. If you do not do this you will not be able to share files or printers. To configure a Trusted Zone, select Firewall on the left side of the ZoneAlarm control panel. Next click on Zones on the top right. The screen will then show the zones set up on your computer.
Depending on how your network is set up, the IP range that your network runs may differ. If you have a LinkSys router your IP range will probably have an IP range of 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.150 and you can set up your Trusted Zone like below. To get the screen select Add -> IP Range. After you enter in the information click "Ok". After that click "Apply".

ZoneAlarm trusted zone.

If you have a different router, the IP range may be different. If you don't know the IP range of your network, you can add each computer in your network to your Trusted Zone. This is done by finding the IP address of each computer in your network and adding it to the trusted zone by selecting Add -> IP Address. You will also want to add any network printers you have.

edits : I copied the Zonealarm from a helppage I have...didn't realize how long it was.

Thanks for the info. I will try it tonight when I get back home.
Now the point is, I couldn't share files even if I shut down ZoneAlarm completely. So what you suggested may not solve my problem. Any ideas?

XP home cannot join a domain . What that means is you cannot logon to Home machine on your Lan without having an authenticated user sign in and home cannot do it automatically . (Although you can do auto with a running
batch file)

You must have a user (same name and password ) on each machine.
You will also have to have at least one Share on each machine .When you Dbll click on the machine in "Explorer\NetworkNeighbourhood\Machine Near Me " you will get a window to logon .

I need to select a user (there is only one) on my notebook but I don't need to enter a password. On my desktop I don't even need to select a user. So do you mean I have to create the same user on my desktop?
Do you have any idea why I got the error 'Server Service not started' on my notebook when I shared out a folder? I search the internet for this error and had no success.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back