File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

bakertime361

For a while I've been running a home network (3 computers) successfully over a Microsoft wired 4 port router. Just recently I purchased a Netgear 802.11g router for the addition of a 4th computer that already had a 802.11g PCI card installed. After hooking up the router, my previous shared folders and printers on the 3 wired computer continue to work without a problem, but the newest computer hasnt not been able to find any of the other computers on the network. On the 3 wired computers, the 4th computer DID show up, but I get a message saying: \\{Computer 4} is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource.. Before this computer was a file server on its previous WAN, but now its not letting me access anything from the 3 wired computers. In addition to that, it won't reconize the other computers and printers like I mentioned previously. I'd appreciate any help...

-Baker

This sounds to me like a firewall issue on your new router. If your router has the option, disable the firewall and see if your shares work. If so, then you'll have to open up the necessary ports to be sure to maintain your shares and improve your security.

Well, have you plugged this computer directly into the other router to see if it changes the situation? If you have and the problem still occurs, then you've identified the problem to the machines software, otherwise the new router is the issue.

A question: why did you buy the extra router anyway? A simple wireless access point and/or/with a switch would have done the job.

Make sure you connected your local network to the local interface of the new router so you wouldn't have to worry about the NAT and firewall going on in the Netgear box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back