File sorter

ansarimikail

You might have noticed, that as hard drives get bigger and bigger. Trying to keep track of files becomes a nightmare and a headache. So I was looking for a file sorter (On TechSpot :)) and didnt find anything appropriate.

Eventually (after googling like crazy and changing keywords ever so slightly), I found Digital Janitor:
http://davidevitelaru.com/software/digital-janitor/ (The programmer's site)

Its pretty cool in that it sorts files by type(i.e. extensions), can sort subfolders as well. Pretty powerful little App, sure it has slight issues (remember to add rule, otherwise nothing will get sorted).
Yeah, and sure you could simply use windows explorer arrange by type and go through sets of filetypes. But its the automation of repetitive tasks where computers are supposed to help, right?

Know of any cool file organisers?

So google pretty much has the search part of programming done, how about getting an elegent sort function to organise files. (End Porgamming Joke;)

a single directory with 1000's of files is a nightmare and if they are graphics (gif, jpg) the
thumbnails take forever.

organizing your data in a hierarch of directories will give you simpler AND faster access to everything you want :)

Is this it basket98? http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/...ic_Collection_Managers/Ideal_File_Sorter.html

@jobeard
I have to agree with you totally. I've devised a file structure I was happy with a long time ago. I did try dates inititally, but with letters it was hard to keep track of when I'd written them.

So now I keep things simple. All letters are in "Letters" folder for example, and any where I write to frequently have their own folder within that one.

Regarding images; I found the best way was to literally seperate them all. So I have about 100 folders inside "My Pictures" now, and folders within those folders as well. Images thumbnail very fast, and more importantly, I can find absolutely anything I might need all within 3-4 folder clicks.

It makes life so much easier as well.

Would it help to delete the duplicate files first ?

Duplicate Cleaner, Easy Duplicate Finder and Auslogics Duplicate File Finder are some freewares available.

Would it help to delete the duplicate files first ?

Duplicate Cleaner, Easy Duplicate Finder and Auslogics Duplicate File Finder are some freewares available.
Absolutely :)

@Leeky:
My Camera software uploads into a fresh subdir using the date of upload, creating a major segregation.
As my gray matter frequently looses track of which-date-visited-what-location, I create a shortcut to the new upload and give it the location-name.

Software like Picasa3 browses directories (quickly) and saves the tumbnails in its own file
and you can quickly scan thru large numbers of pictures

Back