File System Et Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrot

I hope I am posting this in the right forum (can't exactly see a DOS one :D)

I was wondering if the Item I am looking for exists...

I am looking for a simple program, not resident in memory, that will run a 2 or 3 windowed file manager with a DOS CLI at the bottom. Something a little like norton commander, but a little more complex.

Preferably it would support "Drag and Drop" "Cut, Copy, Paste", Mouse etc...

However, it would be almost impossible (if the above are not included) without "Tabbed Movement" and "Shortcut Keys"

Also I would like it to support FAT16/FAT32 AND NTFS (does not have to run from the same boot disk, I have NTFS boot disks). It does not need to be anything major, just read the filesystem, display it graphically, allow for graphical manipulation, while still containing a CLI at the bottom.

A lot of you will probably shout at me "Use Linux". The simple point here, is I do not have a lot of time to learn a new system. I may very well port to linux eventually, but I need something now.

NB: I have looked at http://www.icdc.com/~dnice/dosstart.html but that is a little more than what I require, graphically, and I am not sure it supports NTFS.

You will need a NTFS driver, no file manager will bother to do filesystem access for you. And when you have a NTFS driver then the file manager will support it. The thing to look for is long file name support and support for large files/partitions. An excellent Norton Commander replacement is Volkov Commander. I don't know about drag and drop though.

thank you. I will check that out.

Drag n drop was an optional extra and is not "needed" although it would be helpful.

As for NTFS, I have an NTFS boot disk, so I assumed once I was in, if it would run, that would be all I needed.

I'll check out volkov though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back