File Transfer from 98 to XP

By tie_mann101
Oct 12, 2006
  1. I am trying to transfer files from a PC running Windows 98 to a notebook running Windows XP. I almost fiddled with setting up a file sharing network between the two. Almost. The problem is, I don't know much about networking, and I'm told that the two OS's don't go together very well. Does anyone know of an alternate way? It won't recognize a jumpdrive, and it doesn't have a cd burner.
  2. Rik

Rik Banned Posts: 3,814

You could just take the hard drive out of the 98 pc and get a cheap usb hard drive adapter and plug it into that!!!!
  3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Here's a pretty detailed guide:

The trick may be to install NetBEUI on your Windows 98 computer, in case your problem is you can't see your XP machine over the network. Otherwise, you can just type \\name_of_XP_computer in your Windows Explorer address bar on your 98 PC and connect.

You'll need to setup shares of course, which is very easy when using simple file sharing (on by default).
  4. tie_mann101

tie_mann101 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'll give it a shot. Thanks.
  5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,150   +597

file sharing(FS) twix XP & Win/98 works well -- I use the W/98 has a file server for

another possibility is SSH on both machines, but FS is easier to bring up
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.