File transfer from pc to laptop using rj45 patch cable

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do I File transfer from pc to laptop using rj45 patch cable

How do I transfer files from my PC to my laptop using a rj45 patch cable?
I hooked up my cables but the computers cannot find eachother.

kaz is technically, if not grammatically, correct.

To directly connect a PC to another PC you will need crossover cable, not patch cable.

Once that is done it would be the exact same as networking any other two PCs on the same network.

Yes, actually that's what I have. CAT5e Crossover Cable - RJ45 Patch Cable. I'm using the File Transfer Wizard that comes with the computer. The snag comes when I select "Auto Detect" on both computers. It never seems to find anything.
Any other suggestions?

Oh man, Windows can do some really funny things when attempting to network together via a cross over cable. An important question might be if you are using Windows 98, Me, 2000, XP etc... for both computers. Using older versions of Windows may cause some unexpected hurdles to jump.

But here's what you'll have to do in a nutshell.

1.) You'll need to make SURE it is a crossover cable. I might be wrong on this, but "patch cable" is only used for straight through cabling. You can check to make sure your cable is crossover by examining the ends. Each wire is color coded inside and if both ends have the same orientation of colors, then you have straight through for sure. If the colors appear to be out of order, then you've got yourself a crossover.

2.) Assign IP addresses. Both computers require a unique IP address. The Windows networking wizard doesn't do this for you. I would suggest using something like 192.168.0.1 for the first computer and then 192.168.0.2 for the second computer. In the same area, you will have to enter the SubNet. Enter 255.255.255.0 and the gateway/dns information will be 192.168.0.1

3.) Enable Windows file sharing - You can find more information on how to do this on the net. Just search for it on google.

4.) Share the folders you are interested in accessing - You can usually share a folder by right clicking on it while browsing your files. In the menu, you'll get an option to share. This varies for each version of Windows though. Hopefully it won't get any more complicated than that for you.

Samstoned said:
as far as unique IP address's I think nic cards have that built in to them

Good link, but an IP address isn't something that's "built in" to a network card. Perhaps you are thinking of a MAC address.

Ya thats what I was thinking of the mac addy
I thought the mac was part of the ip assignment
automatic address asignment can be done by windows ,but not all the time.
thought it would be simpler for fiestagal
as outlined in the link.
I'll get it right yet.;)

Good Luck

What operating ystems are you using?

First tell us what OS you are using on each computer. I think this is quite important into getting the network working.

I have set up a "network" between my laptop and PC using a cross over cable, and as I have XP on both machines it was very easy. I didnt have to assign IP addresses - when you go into control panel, networking, there is a home networking wizard that does it all for you. It even sets up internet connection sharing:)

After this the best test (as said above) would be to goto start, run... and type in cmd (to get comand prompt). Then at command prompt type "ipconfig" . do this on both machines then you can establish if the network cards have been assigned ip addresses... If they have make a note of each address. Then at the command prompt type "ping 121.121.121.121"
But replace the number with the IP address of the other computer. This way you can test if the computers and actually talking to each other...

After this, come back here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back