Files and settings transfer wizard problems. please help!

By tom_pearson
Feb 23, 2005
  1. Hi guys

I'm currently working in a PC World store in England. I had a sony laptop in yesterday, the owner wanted all of the partitions on the hard drive deleted so there was one large space for all his files. This included deleting the system restore partition which I then backed up. He had two storage drives (C:/ and D:/).
    I used the Windows files and settings transfer wizard to back up all his data onto an external USB hard drive. All worked fine.
    I then proceded to delete his partitions and then restored Windows to the C:\
    I then ran the files and settings wizard to restore all his files back.

The problem I think I'm having is when the settings were backed up there were effictively two drives (C:\ and D:\) but now when im restoring these settings there is only one (C:\). Where do the settings go from the original D:\????? what can i do!? has anyone any ideas/suggestions/ or experience with this! :wave:

Thanks all

Tom :giddy:
  2. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Ignore those if you can, they point to non-existing programs.
    You will still have some garbage left in the registry, but if you re-install the old D-programs on C, chances are those old infos are overwritten with the new stuff.
    If you have any user-files from that D-drive that the customer wants to keep, copy them in a separate directory on that C-drive.
  3. tom_pearson

tom_pearson TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 47

thanks for the reply. in the end I just restored all his data onto a machine with a c: and d: drive and it seemed to work fine. :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.