Files reappearing after delete Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Files reappearing after delete (Win XP)

Hi,

I recently uninstalled Norton System Works and have started having a weird problem. I'll delete a file (I'm using shift + delete to make it final) and everything looks kosher, file deletes, space frees up on the drive. Yet when I return to the dir that I deleted the file from it seems to have reappeared. The file is complete inaccessible leading me to believe that the file was actually deleted, but the OS hasn't realized it yet. When I try to delete the file again I get the standard "Cannot delete somefile.ext: Access is Denied" message. If I reboot the machine the deleted file goes away.

Seems to me that Norton left remains of the "Protected recycling bin" feature that had been installed. I've done everything I can to make sure that norton is completely uninstalled and it appears to be. I'm not really sure where to go from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Matt

P.S. If I Cut the file and paste it somewhere else, this problem doesn't happen. Including cutting it from one physical drive and moving it to a different physical drive.

I have had similar trouble with System works.In my humble opinion Norton buries it self too deeply in the O/S.
I would recommend going to Symantic site and finding the instructions for completely removeing Systemworks from your system.
There is registry work involved so be careful, but it is worth it.
If you have different users on your machine check USID for norton in each one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back