Final Fantasy IX is coming to PC this year

Scorpus

Staff member

One of the first game announcements of the year (or one of the last of 2015) came from Square Enix, who announced that Final Fantasy IX will be coming to PC and smartphones sometime in 2016.

The version of Final Fantasy IX that will be coming to PC and mobile devices won't be a direct port of the original PlayStation release from 2000. Instead, Square Enix will be adding "high-definition graphics" alongside modern features like achievements, auto-save, and a high speed mode.

Sometimes HD remasters of games don't look as good as the original, but judging by the trailer, Final Fantasy IX will look great in this revamped version. The trailer doesn't show a whole lot of gameplay though, so there's still a few surprises in store.

The mobile port of Final Fantasy IX will be launching on both iOS (7.0 or later) and Android (4.1 or later). Square Enix recommends an iPhone 5s or newer for the best experience as far as iOS devices are concerned, while on the Android side, the company only says the game "may not operate on certain devices".

It's not known exactly when Final Fantasy IX will hit PCs or mobile devices, or whether the game will launch in Japanese only to begin with. When it does launch, it will leave just four Final Fantasy games from the main series (the original, II, X, and XII) without official PC ports.

Permalink to story.

FF9 was my favorite game in the series! Honestly, that is the only one I could stand long enough to actually play all the story! WOOT!

Zidane, ViVi, Garnet, Amarant or Steiner as my main group!

Final Fantasy, my a$$, they should have called it Never-Ending Story, 'cause that what it is, like The Walking Dead or something... :)

While 9 still remains my firm favourite, I don't exactly have much hope for this. It looks about as HD as the FFX HD remake did, which still still has the graphical fidelity of a potato.

While 9 still remains my firm favourite, I don't exactly have much hope for this. It looks about as HD as the FFX HD remake did, which still still has the graphical fidelity of a potato.

Awe man, I didn't watch the video. You are right, it doesn't look good like HD should. Could they just drop the HD and call it FF9 Revamp or something? HD is so misleading. I guess I could stay with my PSX copy, but I don't play that anymore...

Awe man, I didn't watch the video. You are right, it doesn't look good like HD should.
Maybe this will teach you. You simply cannot trust Square-Enix. You never could. They're doing their best to ride whatever good grace and hype is left from Squaresofts corpse while over-designing nonsensical garbage. Keep FF13, the FF10 HD remake, the FF7 episodic remake and the timed console exclusive of Tomb Raider in mind whenever you see Squeenix announce anything.

I could not stand walking back and forth all while random encounters, same with FF6 and 7. FFX is the only FF I like.

Back