'Final Fantasy XV' will miss its September 30 launch date

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Bad news to start the week for Final Fantasy fans as Square Enix has revealed that Final Fantasy XV will miss its original September 30 release date.

Hajime Tabata, director of Final Fantasy XV, revealed the news in a YouTube video published Monday.

In the clip, Tabata said they recently completed the master version of the game and are creating a gameplay video roughly half an hour in length based on it that’ll be released tomorrow (August 16).

Tabata added that their objective with the project was to deliver a Final Fantasy game of the highest possible quality. Unfortunately, with regard to that high level of quality, the team felt in retrospect that the master version was lacking.

To remedy the shortcomings, Tabata said they’ve been working on a day-one patch but they eventually came to realize that not all players – like those without an Internet connection, for example – would be able to apply the patch from the get-go.

The patch in question is said to have some pretty substantial content and without it, it’s one step away from the quality they strive for. Delivering the master version they have now to gamers on launch day, Tabata came to realize, might be a mistake.

All things considered, they need a little more time to polish up the master version which of course translates to a delay. Rather than September 30, Final Fantasy XV will now launch on November 29. The game that goes on sale that day will include everything that was scheduled to be in the day-one patch was well as some additional content, we’re told.

The only thing worse than a delay is a game that ships in an incomplete state. Waiting an extra two months will no doubt suck for diehard Final Fantasy fans but it sounds like a fair compromise in this instance.

Permalink to story.

Considering this is the game that decides whether or not Final Fantasy is a dead franchise (Squares opinion, not mine), this is a smart move. It's just a shame more companies haven't got the balls to hold back a release to ensure a higher quality product.

Ugh stop calling this series Final Fantasy. The last FF was FF3/6 for the SNES. After that the game changed to more modern times, wildly changed characters and technologies, and basically became a different series. I hate seeing the newest ones coming out using the same name just to make sales. FF3/6 will forever be the last FF in my mind.

Ugh stop calling this series Final Fantasy. The last FF was FF3/6 for the SNES. After that the game changed to more modern times, wildly changed characters and technologies, and basically became a different series. I hate seeing the newest ones coming out using the same name just to make sales. FF3/6 will forever be the last FF in my mind.

It's all started with FF7, not only jumping from 2D to 3D, the settings was away from the original class-based fantasy games too. But FF7 was wildly success that's why later FF games are this way. The only one that almost come back to the original idea was FF9 but that one released nearly at the beginning of PS2 release so it's not as popular.

It's all started with FF7, not only jumping from 2D to 3D, the settings was away from the original class-based fantasy games too. But FF7 was wildly success that's why later FF games are this way. The only one that almost come back to the original idea was FF9 but that one released nearly at the beginning of PS2 release so it's not as popular.

I'll second that, it all started with FF7 when it was easier to get your hands on something that would play it (PC Version, reason why it was so popular), I don't know why the rest never came to PC and the only way you could play one was through an emulator.

I'll tell you this, FF7 was the first FF game I ever finished (And I was a fan of RPGs in SNES era, I played Breath of Fire 1 and 2 on an actual super nintendo).

Back