Finally moving from laptop to pc

Hi there,

As post says I am finally making the move to a pc for gaming. Any views on the spec I am getting built would be gratefully received. I really want to play games on their max settings which is the reason for moving from a laptop. I also don't want it to be woefully out of date any time soon.

What do you think?

Intel Skylake i7 6700K 4Ghz Quad Core
Asrock Z170 Extreme4 Mainboard Maximum ram 64GB
32GB DDR4 Ram
Gigabyte Geforce GTX1080 G1 Gaming 8GB GDDR5X VR Ready
512GB Samsung Evo 850 Pro Series
2TB Sata III Secondary Drive Unit
USB 300Mbps Wireless Adaptor
Antec Kuhler Liquid CPU Cooler
XTS ProSeries 1000Watt Modular Power Supply

It looks good to me. The only things that caught my eye were the RAM and PSU. They're both overkill for your setup. 32GB of ram for a gaming machine will go largely unused. The sweet spot is typically 8GB. A 1000W PSU is overkill in that your 1080 and rest of the components won't need nearly that much power. I recommend stepping down to maybe a 600W PSU from a reputable company (Corsair, Seasonic, Antec). Other than those things, I think you're good to go. Of course, if YOU want 32GB of RAM and a 1000W PSU go for it. It's your computer lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Truth is all I know is I want to play games on max settings lol. Thanks for the advice, might shave the budget a bit if I look at those two things which is always helpful

Back